PDA

View Full Version : Yellow-rump with breakfast

Bill Dix
10-26-2010, 09:24 AM
There were literally thousands of Yellow-rumped Warblers passing through Cape May over the weekend. This image is a bit busy compared to other recent "Yumper" posts with beautiful backgrounds, but I liked catching him with his prey.

D90 | 80-400 VR @ 400mm | ISO 640 | 1/1600s @ f/7.1 | -0.3 EV | HH

Indranil Sircar
10-26-2010, 09:43 AM
Very nice, Bill. Love the colors here. Nice exposure and sharpness. A bit more canvas on the left may make this composition stronger, IMHO.

denise ippolito
10-26-2010, 12:03 PM
Hey Bill, I like the pose and meal. I think that the turned up leaf in the front is mildly distracting. Hard to get these out in the open w/o some kind of messy BG. I think you did a good job w/ this one.

John Guastella
10-26-2010, 01:54 PM
Nice capture, Bill! Bird is sharp and well-exposed and the bug in the bill is a bonus. I'm fine with the crop as presented. On my monitor the BG looks over-blurred. I suspect you were probably trying to de-accentuate the BG, but it doesn't look natural to me.

John

Bill Dix
10-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Thanks Indranil, Denise and John for the comments. John, you caught me -- the BG straight out of the camera was pretty well OOF, and moreso after a round of NR; but I did add a slight Surface Blur to it, enough to catch your eye. I also desaturated it a bit. I'll go back to the master and take another look. Thanks for the catch.

Daniel Cadieux
10-26-2010, 06:55 PM
I love how the front toe is gripping the leaf...very neat! Good catch by the warbler too for added interest for your image. I wouldn't be surprised if the BG looked better untouched (save for NR).

Stu Bowie
10-27-2010, 11:14 AM
A nice juicy grub to eat. Super pose, and I like how the tail follows the line of the leaf below the tail.