PDA

View Full Version : Nikon USA vs Nikon Imported?

Bill Dix
10-26-2010, 08:57 AM
Given the long wait times for Nikon long lenses (eg. the 500 f/4), would I be incurring undue risk in purchasing the imported model instead of the USA model? The folks at B&H assure me that the two lenses are identical, made in the same plant, and that the only difference is the Nikon USA warranty. If I purchase the B&H 3-year protection plan (which also covers me when I drop the lens in the lake) they claim I should not have any problems. Does anyone have experience with the relative quality of Nikon Imported lenses, and/or the B&H protection plan?

Rachel Hollander
10-26-2010, 05:39 PM
Bill - Can't answer you on the lens but I bought the B&H protection plan on my 7D which came in handy when it crashed with the tripod while in Alaska. I filed a claim with the protection plan since the accidental drop wasn't covered by my Canon warranty. Sagemax sent me a label to ship it to their authorized repair shop in Illinois. The 7D needed a new shutter system, the repair shop sent the camera to Canon and Sagemax paid for the repairs. The camera was quality tested and returned to me via the Illinois repair shop. The whole thing took about 3 weeks.

Rachel

allanrube
10-26-2010, 05:42 PM
Bill, I was going to mention the Nikon warranty doesn't cover drops either.

Flavio Rose
10-26-2010, 05:42 PM
This Thom Hogan piece might be of some use in answering the question:

http://www.bythom.com/warranty.htm

Obviously, both the gray market and non-gray market lenses are imported. The camera makers do not have US based "transplants" the way some Japanese auto makers do. There's no danger of protectionism in the US against camera makers: imagine the outrage of the media, big users of cameras, if high tariffs were imposed on cameras.

Rachel Hollander
10-26-2010, 05:43 PM
Sorry, should have said the 7D was USA model. Sagemax had some helpful people on their toll free line. You can give them a call. My understanding is that, depending on the state you reside in, the plan works like insurance. They pay for repairs or for a replacement if it can't be fixed.

Rachel

Bob Ettinger
10-26-2010, 06:48 PM
Nikon USA will NOT repair an imported model. No exceptions unlike some other manufacturers

Gene Potter
10-27-2010, 05:14 PM
I know how you feel; I’ve been yearning for a 600mm f4 VR II and there no ware to be found.

I always buy the USA lens. First, the warranty for the USA lens is extendable to five years if you return the extended warranty card. Second, and my best knowledge, Bob is correct. You will not get a repair from a USA authorized repair shop on a gray lens. The nearest international repair center is someplace in Mexico.
As for B&H, take what they say with a grain, or 2, of salt. I ordered a USA model 300 f4 AFS from this store and they sent me an import. It did not come with an extended warranty card. When I called them I was told all I had to do was register it on-line and I would get full five year warranty. This is not true… You must return the extended warranty to get the extension and it only comes with a USA lens. Check the Nikon USA web site about warranties. B&H was good enough to take a return with paid shipping. I replaced the lens at Adorama and it came with the card. Also, Nikon modern USA lenses should have a US preceding the serial number on the lens.

My advice is to get the USA lens and if you can afford it, get an insurance policy to cover accidental damage. Good luck and happy shooting…

Myer Bornstein
10-30-2010, 02:39 PM
A friend had a gray market 600 Nikon and it broke and could not get it fixed anywhere so he is waiting for a US warranty lens. Lucky his insurance covered the replacement

Bill Dix
10-30-2010, 04:09 PM
Thank you all for the input. This isn't what I wanted to hear, but it sounds as if I should wait, and spend the extra money, for the Nikon USA lens. (You get what you pay for?:()

Reza Gorji
10-30-2010, 07:53 PM
Just a question to add to the discussion as this applies to lenses purchased outside US. If you buy a 600 mm lens in Canada or country XX, can you send it back to Canada or XX for repair in case something happens?