PDA

View Full Version : Rain gear protection??

Don Hamilton Jr.
10-26-2010, 06:33 AM
Good morning: I'm heading to the smokies next tuesday am, looks like rain is in the forecast. I'm curious as to which rain gear protection (camera gear) do you use, and long term; who do you endorse. I'd probably use 10-22mm, 24-105, and 70-200,, lens on this trip, however 500mm is in the bag if wildlife requires it. So can one use a rain gear protection system that covers the above mentioned lens ; or is too different systems needed. I tried to purchase the clear plastic sleeves and they are on backorder..
Cheers:
Don

Joel Eade
10-26-2010, 07:37 AM
Don,

I bought the Think Tank cover for my 1DMKIII and 300mm 2.8L.... they make one for the 70-200 and bigger lenses as well....it works great, no issues. You have to purchase the eye piece separately.

Also check out Hunt's Photo...they have some less expensive options.

Joel

Charles Glatzer
10-26-2010, 11:24 AM
Don,

Another thumbs up for the Think Tank products.
BTW- if it is raining hard enough to use the covers subjects may not prove sharp, especially when taken at distance with longer focal lengths.

Rachel Hollander
10-26-2010, 04:44 PM
Don - B&H has the Optech Rainsleeves in stock. I used them in Alaska and in Montana with no complaints.

Rachel

Don Hamilton Jr.
10-26-2010, 05:04 PM
Thks Rachel, i just ordered a few of the two packs.:cheers: Thks very much. As an FYI, spoke to think tank today, and was going to order the hydrophobia, however the eye piece for the 7d, is almost ready, but about two weeks out from release, so with that, i'll probably order one down the road. Chas, made me start to think though, if it's raining hard enough for the hydro, then i probably wouldn't be shooting anyway as IQ would probably suffer greatly; of unless i was in alaska, or some very important setting!:2eyes2:
Don

Alan Lillich
10-27-2010, 10:27 PM
I have FotoSharp camo covers for big lenses - http://fotosharp.com/camouflage_rain_covers.html
Haven't used them in rain yet, but they are inexpensive yet well made about 1/10 the cost of the TT Hydrophobia. Easy to get on and off, and to shoot with.

Joel Eade
10-30-2010, 08:04 AM
I agree that in a strong rain you would not get good IQ but rain squalls can come and go quickly so it might be a good thing to keep your gear covered depending on the forecast.

Also, I don't like my gear to get wet at all if I can help it .... I know it's supposed to be able to handle it but I just can't stand the thought of expensive electronic gear getting wet.