PDA

View Full Version : Wilsons Snipe in Habitat

Jim Fenton
10-26-2010, 05:25 AM
This is the first halfway decent image I've ever created of a Wilson's snipe and while it certainly isn't perfect, I'm really pleased with it as these birds typically evade me I'm the plague.

I had seen this bird scurry into this clump of grass early Sunday morning while it was raining gently. Determined to wait it out and hoping that it would come out on my side of this little grass island, I got out of the car and laid down with the beanbag on the grass upside down so that the lens was cradled in the V portion. Forty minutes later after seeing this bird make it's way toward the back of this little grass island (I couldn't see the bird but could see the tops of the grass blades moving) it suddenly turned and came out on my side. thankfully :)

Nikon D300s, 600VR, TC14EII, ISO 1000, F7.1 (wanted the entire reflection in focus), 1/320, NearUniWB, CE metering, -0.3 EV applied.

Also...I had to take this down to a quality of 50 to stay under 200kb so I'm hoping it holds up....

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-26-2010, 07:25 AM
Looks pretty fabulous to me Jim. None of the Snipe I know down under are this approachable normally. This is a super effort and result. The reflection just makes it!

Ilija Dukovski
10-26-2010, 08:48 AM
I love it! Wish that leaf was not there bot otherwise, the eye-contact, water drop on the bill,
blurred reflection. Great one.

Bill Dix
10-26-2010, 09:01 AM
Great image of a very difficult bird. I'm still waiting to see my first Wilson's Snipe, much less get an image. Well done. HA and reflection make it a keeper, and water drop is an added bonus.

Indranil Sircar
10-26-2010, 09:31 AM
Beautiful composition, Jim. Like the pose and head angle. Fabulous reflection with that hanging water drop. Desaturating the leaf may take the focus away from it, IMHO. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>

Jim Fenton
10-26-2010, 09:36 AM
I could easily clone out the leaf entirely, but given that this isn't a pristine sand spotless beach type of image and more so a habitat image...I kinda like it myself.

Bonnie Block
10-26-2010, 11:45 AM
Pretty nice! I really like images with habitat---the leaf does not bother me--it adds interest for me. Good work.

denise ippolito
10-26-2010, 11:54 AM
Jim, I love it. The details and the reflection are wonderful.

Andrew Merwin
10-26-2010, 12:43 PM
Great capture. I really like the water droplet on the end of its bill.

Geraldo Hofmann
10-26-2010, 02:25 PM
Great capture,

wonderful reflection exposure, details, light, ... spot on. I would not clone out the leaf .... why creating another "Disney-beach" it's there and it adds to the picture.

Nancy Bell
10-26-2010, 05:25 PM
You are certainly a patient man...and an optomist to think the snipe would show up again :). You were well rewarded with a great photo with a super reflection.

DanWalters
10-26-2010, 07:23 PM
Like the reflection and the surrounding environment. Like the little drop of water on the beak as well.

Pieter de Waal
10-26-2010, 10:20 PM
Your patience was well rewarded Jim. Nice habitat image with great detail, head turn, reflection and super sharp.

christopher galeski
10-27-2010, 04:55 AM
one magic shot,well sharp,nice habitat,reflection very nice,if it was mine,and I wish it were,I might get rid of the brown leaf at the back of the bird.thanks.

Craig Brelsford
10-27-2010, 06:55 AM
As your story makes clear, it was no easy task to shoot this shy bird, and I salute you. Snipe don't avoid just you like the plague--they avoid everybody like the plague. Your 40-minute wait is the kind of investment one needs to make to shoot 'em.

Jim Crosswell
10-27-2010, 02:59 PM
I like the habitat and reflection in this beautiful image! The drop of water is a nice touch and I would consider removing the brown leaf as well.