PDA

View Full Version : Kestrel braking

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-26-2010, 02:19 AM
I have been watching a pair of Kestrels for the second year running and I only found their nest this spring in a low hollow limb. I set-up with camera on a tripod on an embankment next to the tree (convenience is great for higher elevation) and used a cable release to trigger the shutter. I watched the male (this bird) come every four/five minutes with a skink and I knew I just didn't have the chance to make a good image hand holding and trying to follow by panning. So I thought pre-setting the frame for a close approach using a fast shutter speed via remote ought to do it. Anyway, this is 70% of the original image and I left the limb of the tree off because it kind of does not really add to the image. He is here braking about 1.5m (5') from the nest entrance. Sadly, at 5fps, I figured I have only one chance to get a reasonable image as within 5 frames I have this, one almost landed and three landed shots. :(

30D, 300/4L IS (IS Off), tripod, remote, ISO800, f/4, 1/5000th, 1 2/3 EC

christopher galeski
10-26-2010, 02:55 AM
nice one Akos,pleasant lighting,nice detail in the bird,and the lizard in the beak a bonus,I think it is some sort ofreptile,and nice comp.thanks.

Duane Noblick
10-26-2010, 03:51 AM
Love the fanned out tail, prey a bonus and I like that you can see a catchlight.

Harshad Barve
10-26-2010, 04:31 AM
Beauty this is Akosbhai , love the wing , tail pose and prey
TFS

Marc Mol
10-26-2010, 06:10 AM
Like your thought process Akos.
Good lighting, detail and comp. Anywhere near Penrith by any chance?
TFS

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-26-2010, 07:19 AM
Like your thought process Akos.
Good lighting, detail and comp. Anywhere near Penrith by any chance?
TFS
Thanks Mark,
Yes, about 5km. And I even had the pleasure of a Brown Snake visiting me that was a little bit nervy being the deadliest snake in the world. If you don't count the Inland Taipan, which is far less encountered than the Browns. But funnily the snake was far more afraid of me than I was of it and took off real quick as I slowly changed position and grabbed the camera for a photo. Only if he knew I had shorts and sandshoes, which I normally don't wear in the bush at all.

And I should have added that the original had no catchlight so I added in during the PP. Not sure if it does make any difference?

Mital Patel
10-26-2010, 08:29 AM
Akos this is just awesome image. liked the wing spread and framing as well.

Ilija Dukovski
10-26-2010, 08:44 AM
Great one Akos,
Congrats, I would probably center the bird bit more, especially vertically.
I love those visible Alulas,(three feathers sticking out of each wing)
We can clearly see here how important they are for flight control :)

Indranil Sircar
10-26-2010, 09:22 AM
G'day Mate. This one excellent! Love the wing spread. Good looking bg. TFS.

Thanaboon Jearkjirm
10-26-2010, 11:29 AM
Love the pose, very good wing and tail spread. Also like how you position the bird in the frame, the lizard is a big plus too. Nicely plan and very well execute. TFS.

denise ippolito
10-26-2010, 11:53 AM
Very nice Akos, I like your framing-giving the bird some room. I love the fanned tail and sharp details.

Jim Crosswell
10-26-2010, 07:11 PM
I like the wing position, fanned out tail and prey. Well done Akos!

DanWalters
10-26-2010, 07:20 PM
Like the eye contact and the details in the wings and the tail feathers!

Pieter de Waal
10-26-2010, 10:14 PM
Nice flight pose Akos, like the fanned tail and prey. Exposure against the sky spot on with good detail.

Kerry Perkins
10-26-2010, 11:38 PM
Beautiful work Ákos. I love the pose and excellent exposure. Good thinking with the setup and thanks for sharing that. Also, thanks for your kind words in my previous post.

Mark Young
10-27-2010, 03:13 AM
Lovely image Akos, I like the pose and prey in the bird's mouth.

Stu Bowie
10-27-2010, 11:30 AM
Nailed Bro. Excellent timing to capture this flight angle and posture. Good underwing detail, and I like the softer colour of the sky. Well captured mate.

James Salywoda
10-28-2010, 10:50 PM
Fantastic Shot Akos great pose captured....Well Done!