PDA

View Full Version : Plz critique my critique of Nikon

Craig Brelsford
10-25-2010, 10:24 PM
Dear Friends at BPN: In the quotation below, taken from an e-mail to a photographer friend who knows less than I do, I shared what I know about the top Nikon cameras. I want to share those thoughts with you all now. Please critique my critique. Do I have a good grasp of the issues? Is there some insight that I'm missing or don't fully grasp? What can you add to what I was telling my friend? Your help may be decisive as I agonize over whether to get a D3S now or wait until the D4 comes out, rumored for next year. THANKS. "As you may know, I use the D300. It's a cropped-sensor camera, as is I think the D700. For flying birds and for birds in low light, the D300 just isn't the best camera. My only decision now is whether to get a D3S now or wait until next year and get the D4. The D4 hasn't come out yet but should be out next year. The D3s is the best high-ISO camera in the world, and high ISO is what you need to capture flying birds. At Rudong this month, I wasted an hour trying to photograph flying reed parrotbills with my D300. Because the birds were flying among reeds, the light was a little low, and that meant I had to jack up the ISO to 800 and beyond, and my D300 often gives noisy results at high ISOs. At ISO 800, the chance for noise is very high with my D300, but a D3S can handle ISO 1600 and above with few problems. For birds in low light (especially birds in low light that are moving), the D3S or D3X is also the choice over the D300, I've found. In good light, the D300 performs well, and in some cases is preferred over the D3S because of the cropped sensor. But I figure that I can make up for the uncropped sensor of the D3S or D3X or (I'm assuming) next year's D4 simply by improving my fieldcraft skills. That is to say, a good photographer can make the disadvantage of the D3 series less of a disadvantage simply by getting closer to the bird. I'm pretty good at getting close to many species of birds. (Some birds, such as the eyebrowed thrush, are beyond my fieldcraft abilities; they're so very very shy.) I have a strong understanding of my D300 and use it well; I'm proud, for example, of my results with the D300 shooting birds sitting still in low light. (My fairy pitta [www.shwbs.org/swb/read.php?tid=4886] in June and my rock thrushes [www.shwbs.org/swb/read.php?tid=5278] this month in Rudong are good examples.) I've become very good at shooting at low shutter speeds and keeping the camera from shaking. But despite my many triumphs with the D300, I'm looking forward to retiring it in favor of the D3 or D4 series. I've seen enough bird photographers with the D3 series and am confident that it's overall a step up, though I must add that body is not everything and that the skills of the photographer can make up for many of the deficiencies of the D300. By the way, the question of D3S or D3X was answered by Ken Rockwell, who said that the D3X is the best camera Nikon's ever made but is a bad deal, because it's much more expensive than the D3S but isn't much better of a camera."

Paul Guris
10-26-2010, 09:02 AM
FYI, the D700 is a full frame camera. The just released D7000 (which replaces the D90) is a cropped sensor, but the high ISO capabilities have been improved beyond the D300 and perhaps even the D300s.

Rumors are also bouncing around that next year Nikon is due to update the D300s. If they do, the high ISO handling would be as good or better than the more prosumer level D7000.

allanrube
10-26-2010, 05:40 PM
The D3X shots less fps than the D3s. If you are shooting a bird in motion you may miss the peak with a D3X. A friend and I were shooting an egret catching fish. He had the 3s and I the 3X - he had more shots to choose from.

You will have to adjust to full frame with any 3 series Nikon. If that means you will crop more the D3X has the advantage.

Gene Potter
10-27-2010, 05:32 PM
I have a D3s and love it, although, I did have to send it in for a warranty repair this past summer. The ISO capabilities are outstanding and it fires like a machinegun. I would not hesitate buy another but hope to add a D4 at some point if there is an outstanding advantage. A D700, I think, would be a suitable alternative as the specifications are close. Certainly less expensive.

Asif Khan
10-28-2010, 07:06 AM
> - D3X is about high resolution &
> dynamic range and D3S is all about high ISO & fps. D3X ISO is not near D3S. D3X high
> resolution is due to the smaller pixels sizes as compared to D3S. They
> use almost the same sensor size. So as the pixel size is smaller in D3X
> the effective megapixel resolution is 24.5 - way higher than D3S. On other
> hand the D3S sensor structure is quite different to D3X's which dramatically
> reduces signal to noise ratio and hence gives higher ISO range. D3X is
> nowhere close to D3S operating on higher ISO's. D3X is ISO50 to ISO1600
> and D3S is ISO200 to ISO12,800
>
> - Regarding the DX cropped benefit -
> that is certainly an advantage. I would personally like to have one FX
> and one DX body. For the cropped sensor benefit and also to have a backup.
> I am not sure if you know, but you can shoot in DX mode in an FX format
> camera. So though my D3S is a FX sensor camera, I can go to menu and change
> to DX format and shoot in DX mode same as you do in D300S. The only issue
> is that it moves from 12.1MP in FX format to around 8.2MP in DX format.
> So one cannot really blow the images and there is loss of details.
>
> - I dont agree fully with Ken Rockwell on the
> D3S vs D3X. I believe they are for different purposes and cannot be compared.
> Else, Nikon would have taken either one off the shelf. For wildlife where
> we need light and speed - D3S delivers both i.e. high ISO and high frames
> per second. D3X is great for fashion, macro etc where you need a lot of
> details and higher dynamic range. Am not saying that D3X cannot be used
> for bird photography - but am saying is the D3S wins. Atleast in my eye.