PDA

View Full Version : Theme Common Loon

Andrew McLachlan
10-25-2010, 05:13 PM

I don't do many silhouettes, but came across this backlit loon image from a few weeks ago. Warmed it up a bit in ACR and cloned out a few distracting highlights. Thought I would send it in for the October Project and see what folks think of it.

Nikon D200
80-400 VR lens @ 400mm VR on (effective focal length 600mm)
f8 @ 1/2000 sec.
ISO 200
handheld from canoe

Look forward to comments

Randy Stout
10-25-2010, 06:04 PM
Andrew:

I like the color of the water, and although it is easily identifiable as a loon, I think that it would have more impact if the loon was more parallel to the image sensor, more in profile. I am not one that feels that all silhouettes need to be perfectly parallel to the sensor, but I do think this one would be stronger if it were more in profile.

Cheers

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
10-25-2010, 06:20 PM
The water looks like molten gold! I like the bill dragging the water surface, but agree with Randy about being parallel to the sensor (at least the head). I like the subtle hint of the white patterns of the plumage.

Arthur Morris
10-25-2010, 08:04 PM
I love the golden water and am fine with the pose and the quasi-SILH. The over-exposed slash is image death for me :) Also, a bit too tigh in the llc.

Andrew McLachlan
10-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks for the comments. I'll try posting another one tomorrow - more parallel and no over-exposed slashes.