PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Legs ~ Calm, Cloudy Morning

Jim Fenton
10-25-2010, 05:03 AM
Image created yesterday morning at Plum Island in Massachusetts under very cloudy and calm conditions.

Applied a little CW rotation and cleaned up a couple of small dark blobs which were floating on the surface of the water.

Nikon D300s, 600VR, TC14EII, ISO 1000, f 7.1, 1/125, NearUniWB, CE Metering, +2 EV applied.

Joe Senzatimore
10-25-2010, 07:24 AM
Beautiful High Key image. great use of the lighting conditions. Would like either the full reflection or none. troubled by the half cut reflection.

Randy Stout
10-25-2010, 08:22 AM
Jim:

I had the same initial reaction to the reflection as Joe. Because the reflection is pretty good, our eyes really want to see more of it. A portrait orientation of the camera might have worked well here.
The overall effect is very nice, with high key effect, just a little vegetation, calm. I might try a version with the left most clump of grasses cut off just to see how it looks and balances without it.

Cheers

Randy

Jim Fenton
10-25-2010, 03:36 PM
I figured folks would have issues with the partial reflection :)

The reflection isn't perfect however and while I tried it with the reflection cloned out, it looked rather strange with the grasses reflecting further into the image.

I'll see if I have one that I can crop fully vertical.

Marc Mol
10-25-2010, 03:50 PM
I figured folks would have issues with the partial reflection :)

The reflection isn't perfect however .

That's a shame Jim, as this would have been a real stunner otherwise. Still, what's presented here is quite pleasing.
TFS

Jim Fenton
10-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Here's a quick full vertical....grass removed.

Not sure I like this????

Jim Fenton
10-25-2010, 04:01 PM
And another alternate crop.....colors aren't quite right as I'm not working from home at the moment.

Randy Stout
10-25-2010, 06:10 PM
Jim:

I would grade the reflection as strong enough that it adds to the picture. I actually like a bit of grass in the frame, perhaps lose the blades that touch/approach the tail and leave the others.

Cheers

Randy

Mark Young
10-25-2010, 08:06 PM
Lovely high key Jim, lots of wonderful details. I think I prefer the OP.