PDA

View Full Version : Secretary bird

Marc Mol
10-25-2010, 01:28 AM
Have just returned from 4 weeks in Kenya & Tanzania, to catch the migration, and was very fortunate to witness this event in both countries.
Here is one particular bird I love to photograph on the open grass plains.

D3s 500VR 1/1600s ISO400@f/4 Nth Serengeti Tanzania Oct 2010

C & C most welcome

Cheers
Marc

RAM MALLYA
10-25-2010, 05:04 AM
Wow what a graceful bird . Lovely capture in a typical BG

Joe Senzatimore
10-25-2010, 07:28 AM
Fine capture of a beautiful subject. Would like to see it as a horizontal with a bit of room on the right and some off the bottom.

Craig Brelsford
10-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Congratulations on what must have been an exciting trip. Thanks also for this graceful and unusual bird. I'll bet you thought a little before choosing your crop. The bird is forming a square: she's about as tall as she is wide, including the tail of course. An alternative would be a vertical crop with the bird in the left-most third looking in.

Jeff Dyck
10-25-2010, 08:24 AM
Great shot! I've always been fascinated by these birds and would love to get the opportunity to photograph them some day. I really like how, between the colour of the face and the crest feathers you just snap right to the birds eyes.

Mital Patel
10-25-2010, 08:50 AM
amazing bird to get in kitty. very well taken. just a thought to have bit low angle more to achieve nice bg. dont know if that possible with this bird and location or not. i like it as is too.

Jim Fenton
10-25-2010, 03:12 PM
Beautiful subject and I like the isolation. I'm going to guess that you couldn't get a lower angle as this might have been created from a vehicle? On top of that, it looks as if you may have lost your subject with a lower angles due to the foreground?

Interesting crop chosen. I would have likely gone with a horizontal crop but this one is kinda growing on me.

Marc Mol
10-25-2010, 03:42 PM
Appreciate the comments everyone.

I'm going to guess that you couldn't get a lower angle as this might have been created from a vehicle?

Correct Jim.;)

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-26-2010, 07:23 AM
I think any lower and the grass would have been too obstructive? That's my thought anyway. Love the open bill and pose. well done Marc!