200-400mm f/4 @ 400mm
ISO 800
f/5.6
1/320

ACR and CS5, selective sharpening and background noise reduction

Comments and suggestions welcome!

Julie Kenward
10-25-2010, 07:14 AM
Boy, Maureen, you're making me want to set up a blind in my backyard! This is a beauty! The HA, catch light, and pose are beautiful and the BG is perfect. Only thing I see that might make this even stronger would be to tone down some of the whiter areas on the perch that grab at my attention just a bit.

Eric Patdu
10-25-2010, 08:52 AM
Wonderful shot of a Yellow-rumped Warbler. Focus is sharp and spot on. Lots of details.

I just came in from the yard shooting this bird but just can't nail a good focus on this constantly moving little bird. All I got were blurred shots. :) Seeing your photo inspires me more to shoot this bird.

Thank you for sharing.

Maureen Allen
10-25-2010, 10:49 AM
Thanks Julie. Do you have a suggestion on how I might best approach toning down the bright spots on the perch? I tried but didn't tone them down enough. When I tried to go further, it just didn't look natural. Any help you can offer would be most appreciated!

Eric, these guys tend to be very skittish little birds. The ones that have just arrived in FL are tired from their journey, and hungry and thirsty so they're a little easier to get right now. Still it probably wouldn't be possible without the blind.

John Chardine
10-25-2010, 03:35 PM
Yep this is a beauty. Nice and sharp, nice pose and head angle, nice perch, nice background. I would tone down the light blotches in the BG a bit. Very nice Maureen.

ann shiller
10-25-2010, 06:25 PM
I love the detail in the feathers and the fact that the pose allows 3/4 of the bird to be in focus. Very nice!!

Ray Rozema
10-25-2010, 08:15 PM
Excellent detail and pose. Like the eye level contact. Agree w John tone down the hightlights in the upper right corner.

TFS

Maureen Allen
10-25-2010, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the suggestions. Better?

Gus Hallgren
11-03-2010, 02:41 PM
Looks lovely . . . . easier said than done, but you did it Young Lady. Did you use the method you posted? "To reduce the brightness using photoshop"? Works super for me. Thanks