PDA

View Full Version : Touchdown

Jeff Dyck
10-24-2010, 08:45 PM
The avian photography is starting to slowdown some in Northwestern Ontario. The trees are bare and it seems that the majority of the migrants have already passed through. Fortunately, we do still have a lot of eagles moving through. With moose / deer hunting season gearing up, the local abattoir is doing a lot of business and has become a favorite hang-out of the migrant eagles. Here's one from this morning.

Canon 5DmarkII -- 400L / f5.6 -- ISO400 -- f7.1 @ 1/1250s (manual exposure)

Cropped from horizontal

Doug Brown
10-24-2010, 09:01 PM
Excellent landing pose; love the outstretched talons. Good sharpness and exposure. I might tone down the perch slightly. Not sure how I feel about the crop. It feels a little tight on the right; like the bird is going to run out of canvas. I might stick with a horizontal crop.

John Guastella
10-25-2010, 12:09 AM
Great image; agree with Doug's comments, especially about adding a bit more room on the right.

John

Craig Brelsford
10-25-2010, 07:05 AM
Good shot. I don't understand. Did you have canvas to the right of the perch and elect not to use it? Or was the perch to the right in the uncropped version? If the latter, then consider this: It looks as if you had a uniformly blue sky. In that case, why not add canvas to the right of the perch and have the eagle flying into the photo?

Mital Patel
10-25-2010, 08:52 AM
jeff i like the force here by eagle and perch. i would add more room on right and take off some from bottom. adding a bit enhancement over shadow would add lot more interest an take this to next.

Jeff Dyck
10-25-2010, 12:43 PM
Many thanks for the suggestions. The unanimous consensus seems to be a horizontal crop:

John Guastella
10-25-2010, 04:59 PM
I think that's better, Jeff. I might have included more of the perch, but the repost works as is.

John