PDA

View Full Version : Extention tube needed! - Lapland Longspur portrait.

Daniel Cadieux
10-24-2010, 03:11 PM
This guy was so fearless and went about its own business as if it were alone. On one afternoon when I was alone with this subject I decided to try for tight portraits. By slowly crawling on my belly I got within my 100-400's 6 foot MFD and needed to slap on a 20mm extention tube! (I was able to do the same with a Horned Lark...stay tuned!):D After that was succesfull I was going to try my 36mm tube...but another photographer arrived and I thought it was best to back off and share this awesome subject.:cool: The Longspur has sinced moved on...

Canon 40D + 100-400L @400mm + 20mm extention tube, aperture priority, evaluative metering, 1/400s., f/6.3, ISO 800, +1 EC, natural light, FF, small bright OOF grass blade in ULC eliminated in post-processing.

Austin Thomas
10-24-2010, 03:18 PM
Very impressive Daniel, A great story and an excellent image. Great detail in the bird and I love the OOF foreground and background.

I would cut some from the RHS to bring the eye more onto a third.

Cheers

Austin

Layton E Parham
10-24-2010, 03:39 PM
I would remove a little canvas from the bottom also. Love the pose.

Dan Brown
10-24-2010, 03:43 PM
Very unique opportunity Dan! You were able to return with the tubes and get a very nice overall image! Love the post as is, bg,sharpness,exp,soft light, great!:D

Norm Dulak
10-24-2010, 04:01 PM
A very nice image Dan. And I think that your resourcefulness in the field to get closer is truly commendable!

My only suggestions would be to crop off a bit of negative space on the bottom and on the right. And a bit off the left also; IMO your handsome bird doesn't need quite that much space to look into. :2eyes2:

Norm

John Chardine
10-24-2010, 04:34 PM
This is really fabulous Dan. Outstanding sharpness, great light quality, great BG and FG. I can see a few different crops but I like this as presented.

Arthur Morris
10-24-2010, 04:54 PM
You are a sick puppy. I love the bird in heaven look and the soft light. And of course the handsome bird.

Randy Stout
10-24-2010, 05:04 PM
Daniel;

I think you are going to have to change your last name to Boone. Your stalking skills are really impressive. Lovely image in all regards. I could see a minor crop from the right and bottom, but wouldn't want to lose the color there, as it plays well with the colors on the left.

Cheers

Randy

Doug Brown
10-24-2010, 06:05 PM
Very impressive fieldcraft Daniel. The resulting image is a beauty! I like it as presented and wouldn't crop.

Jeff Dyck
10-24-2010, 06:33 PM
Another gorgeous longspur image Daniel. The crop is perfect and I love the look of all the out-of-focus elements.

Pieter de Waal
10-24-2010, 11:15 PM
Another vote for a great image. I love the blending of the colours , sharpness, head position and overall concept of the composition. Looking forward to your next post.

Jason Kinsey
10-24-2010, 11:56 PM
Beautiful image, Daniel, and it is razor sharp!! Love the low perspective-and you've got to love the looks and questions you get laying on your belly waiting for that perfect shot!!!

Craig Brelsford
10-25-2010, 07:32 AM
Daniel, this is a true "fieldcraft portrait"! Fine, fine work. I like the story you told in words, but even without your story the shot itself says much. The picture communicates a quiet spot, you on the ground, the bird knowing you're there and not minding: "Photographer and Bird at Peace." I could be wrong, but the shot also has a cool, autumnal feel; did you create it recently? Finally, it seems you saw an opportunity not only in the tame bird, but also in the way his brown plumage blends so nicely with his environment.

Daniel Cadieux
10-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Daniel, this is a true "fieldcraft portrait"! Fine, fine work. I like the story you told in words, but even without your story the shot itself says much. The picture communicates a quiet spot, you on the ground, the bird knowing you're there and not minding: "Photographer and Bird at Peace." I could be wrong, but the shot also has a cool, autumnal feel; did you create it recently? Finally, it seems you saw an opportunity not only in the tame bird, but also in the way his brown plumage blends so nicely with his environment.

Hi Craig, thanks a ton for your kind words about this image! This was taken 4 days ago, and yes it was very cool (borderline cold) and the grasses are not as green as in the spring or summer. Good observation :-)

Jim Crosswell
10-25-2010, 08:16 PM
I like the feeling the DOF creates in this beauty! Well done Daniel.

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-27-2010, 02:06 AM
Absolutely top notch work mate. Love the intimacy of this image! A killer for me! :)