PDA

View Full Version : Insectivore mode: Satin Bowerbird (Ptilonorhynchus violaceus)

Rod Warnock
10-24-2010, 04:55 AM
Satin Bowerbird (Ptilonorhynchus violaceus) male Blackbutt NSW
Canon EOS 40D Lens 100-400mm L IS USM at 160mm ISO 400 F 6.3 1/500 Canon Speedlite 580EX II Flash with Better Beamer 19 October 2010
During the breeding season Satin Bowerbirds eat a lot of insects however in the last few days I have seen this male eating grass and also eating copious quantities of the Spiderwort - Wandering Jew (Tradescantia fluminernsis) . Of course they are also fruit eaters. The bird is sitting in a lemon tree and just above the bower and playground.
Thanks for viewing
Best regards
Rod Warnock

Geoff Warnock
10-24-2010, 08:47 AM
Hi Rod, another excellent one! I love the purplish eye and full beak. At only 160mm too! If there was anything I'd consider changing it would be the green leaves in the background that touch the bird's back, but the bird's head and chest certainly draw enough attention.

Katie Rupp
10-24-2010, 10:21 AM
A beautiful bird with vibrant color and very nice detail; the prey is a bonus and I also wish for just a bit more detail in the dark belly.

Daniel Cadieux
10-24-2010, 02:14 PM
Nice image, good comp. The blue eye and matching sheen on the plumage is fantastic!! Perhaps a stronger flash output would have helped with the dark lower body.