PDA

View Full Version : 100% Mocker Portrait

Dave Phillips
03-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Not worthy to post in birds, so here it goes.
I love doing closeups and looking at structure. Got this mocker as a grab from van window a while back. Almost 100% crop. Looks like a little beak tip crossover, knots around the eyes and a few other interesting elements. Not posted for comp/color, just interesting.
Thanks for the look
ISO 400, 1/500, f/11, 400mm w/1.4x

Alfred Forns
03-12-2008, 11:54 PM
It is interesting and informative Dave Are you noticing that the beak is parallel to the plane and not a little toward the plane? That makes the eyeball and the bill tip in a different plane ..... so the tip of the bill is not sharp !!!!!

Even closing down to f 11 there is a little difference The base seems sharper than the tip btw great getting in for a close shot Although they are very common is not easy to get close !!!

Dave Phillips
03-13-2008, 07:18 AM
It is interesting and informative Dave Are you noticing that the beak is parallel to the plane and not a little toward the plane? That makes the eyeball and the bill tip in a different plane ..... so the tip of the bill is not sharp !!!!!

Even closing down to f 11 there is a little difference The base seems sharper than the tip btw great getting in for a close shot Although they are very common is not easy to get close !!!

exactly as I have learned Al....the DOF is so shallow,usually under .25" and I try to make a manual focus tweak. If this one had turned just a wee bit that beak tip would have been right on(in)

Judy Lynn Malloch
03-14-2008, 07:46 AM
Thanks for posting Dave . Alfred did a wonderful job critiquing this image and a great lesson for all. Love these little birds and the eye contact in this image is gorgeous. !!