PDA

View Full Version : Teton Abstract

denise ippolito
10-23-2010, 09:49 PM
I wanted to create an abstract of the Teton mountain range outline. I saw many artistic impressions while in Jackson Hole and thought I would design my own. I used the dip in the mountain range as my ROT placement. I used glowing edges, threshhold and fractalius.

Patrick Sparkman
10-23-2010, 10:28 PM
Neat shot. Looks like lightning. I guess that is the thing about it for me. Without the title, I would have no idea what it represents. That might be the idea behind and abstract, but I wonder if you had a version that included anything to bring some context to this shot?

Indranil Sircar
10-24-2010, 12:37 AM
Denise, I love this line art abstract! I like the fract effect on the ridge line. This could very well be clouds. But using Grand Teton outline is unique and original. I also think it is better appreciated on a larger canvas.

Paul Lagasi
10-24-2010, 01:42 AM
Denise..your on to something, as a abstract its cool. There's something missing..problem is I'm not sure what it is. Maybe the moon or sun in background to show its mountains. I gotta admit though Indranil might be on to something, about it being better, on a larger canvas.

denise ippolito
10-24-2010, 07:46 AM
Thanks guys. I feel like a starburst or something coming over the mountain top would add to it but every time I add one I hate it. I wanted it to be an abstract that could be left open for interpretation to some degree but maybe this is too much-I am open to some suggestions or reposts and would appreciate the help. :)

Cheryl Slechta
10-24-2010, 08:06 AM
Denise, I love it just the way it is and bet it looks stunning as a large image. I especially like the subtle browns and golds. To me, it doesn't matter if it's the Tetons or a wave or lightning - it just is.

Nancy Bell
10-24-2010, 09:30 AM
Denise, what about some hint of a color below the mountains to make them a little more solid and anchored, so the ridge is not just a line in image? The ridgeline is a lovely shape and the fract work makes me think of blowing snow off the tops.

denise ippolito
10-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Thank you Cheryl and Nancy.
Nancy, I'll give it a try. Thanks!

Andrew McLachlan
10-24-2010, 03:51 PM
I like the fract you applied to this. It looks great as is to me, but Nancy's idea might just make it even better than it is now.

denise ippolito
10-24-2010, 08:32 PM
Andrew, Thanks-I appreciate it.:)

Kerry Perkins
10-24-2010, 10:07 PM
Denise, I recognized this outline immediately! Anyone who has been there will know what it is, but I agree with the thoughts regarding a little more context. Just a hint of same would add to the dramatic feel IMO. Nice use of multiple filters to get the look. I like it!

denise ippolito
10-24-2010, 10:37 PM
Kerry, When we were in Jackson Hole the jewelery stores all had these mountain range outlines on everything. I saw a ring with a diamond chip that represented the sun and I couldn't get my mind off of it. I would like to incorporate a starburst peeking out of the top of the mountains but I will have to try to find a more realistic one.

Kerry Perkins
10-24-2010, 10:47 PM
Denise, I have no doubt that you will find a way! I don't even think it has to be realistic - I think a stylized one would work also.