PDA

View Full Version : The Totem Pole

Jeffrey Sipress
10-23-2010, 09:28 PM
Very iconic, but for good reasons. This spire is in the Navajo Tribal Park at Monument Valley. Guide accompaniment is required. I'm posting this because I was delighted with the conditions I got for my only visit there. This is sunset, and we camped nearby to catch the sunrise, too. Icons deserve this treatment!

1DsIII, 16-35L II @25mm, ISO 200, 1/60 @ f16, -1.33 EV.

Roman Kurywczak
10-24-2010, 10:27 AM
Sweeeet Jeffrey! Yes they do deserve that treatment and you were very fortunate to get the clouds to cooperate. I've had too many or too little in the many times I've been there so my hunt continues! I have debated the stick/twig for a bit.....am OK with removal but feel it adds a bit to the large expanse of sand and doesn't detract at all. Ripples were VG and the light is super......all work and combine for a really great image of an Icon! Hope you ran around taking a bunch of these because you don't often get the "right" conditions combined.

Melissa Groo
10-24-2010, 02:27 PM
This is a fantastic photograph. The clarity, light, and the wonderful variety of textures make me want to get lost in it.

Judy Howle
10-24-2010, 04:31 PM
You really hit it right on the clouds and lighting. Spectacular! I love the texture of the sand.

Rene Quenneville
10-24-2010, 06:48 PM
Great comp. The ripple, the clouds, the hoizon positioning all make a very pleasing picture. Just beautiful!

To my tast, I would remove the twig.

Morkel Erasmus
10-25-2010, 05:03 PM
this is very nice Jeffrey! do you have any where the clouds and spires are tinted by last crimson light?

I like the twig just as it is! :)

Robert Amoruso
10-26-2010, 06:17 AM
I agree, SWEET!

Light, clouds and color all working for you in this classic view. I like the little twig/branch in the FG right in the sand.

Dennis "Curly" Buchner
10-27-2010, 08:45 PM
Great job and hope to be seeing it soon

Michael Lloyd
10-30-2010, 07:58 PM
I like this very much. However, the first thing that I thought when I saw the twig was "awe man... the negative got scratched"

Chris Ober
10-31-2010, 02:19 PM
Lovely all around. I'd like a bigger twig :)

Jay Gould
12-18-2010, 03:04 PM
Congratulations on the IOTW; I missed this the first time around.

Had to find this image to see what was said about the twig. I wish they would put links in the IOTW announcements!

I definitely would remove the twig as it grabs the eye and breaks up the beautiful expanse and graphics of the sand.

Beautiful image.