PDA

View Full Version : Miramichi Morning

Jason Kinsey
10-23-2010, 05:20 PM
Spent some time in New Brunswick, Canada on a business trip last month and had just a minute to shoot at a fishing lodge on the Miramichi River. Didn't quite get what I was after with this image, but I'd like to know what y'all think.

This image was converted to B&W with normal adjustments, and one rock has been retouched in the lower left corner of the image. Thanks for looking.

Rene Quenneville
10-23-2010, 07:32 PM
Interresting subject Jason. The fog brings a mystical effect. I like the diagonal placement of the shore line.
You do not show your camera settings but I feel that your aperture gives a too narrow depth of field, making the foreground out of focus. Usualy we would try to have the whole scene in sharp focus.

Jason Kinsey
10-23-2010, 08:33 PM
Thanks, Rene, I agree with you. I had to go back and look on another machine, it was shot at f/8. Like I said I didn't get quite what I was after with this one. Trying to shoot everything I could before heading back to Fredericton to catch a flight!!! And sometimes when I get in a hurry thats what happens!!

Roman Kurywczak
10-24-2010, 10:07 AM
Hey Jason,
I see you posted the f-sop in your reply....if you get a chance remember to post the other specs also. It helps us offer better evaluations and in the process others can learn from it too. When I first looked at it....I felt like Rene did on the DOF but I think you can minimize it by cropping up from the bottom.....where you have a nice line of black grass in the water and then cleaning up any stray protrusions.....this takes the majority of OOF FG out of the equation and still leaves a pleasing curve. The mood behind the boat is fantastic and the placement of the boat and rocks in the frame works well also. Fro some reason this one feels like it is leaning right.....could be an optical illusion though but I would like to see this with a CCW rotation just to compare but I wouldn't want to lose the shoreline of get to close to the boat so may not be possible. With the crop I think this will work nicely......so just remember not to rush next time out!

Bill Randall
10-24-2010, 07:12 PM
I like the bw rendition of the image. I agree that a ccw rotation would help level up the horizon line. The slight tilt to starboard of the horizen is something I would correct. The two previous comments pointed out the forground focus. The contrast and the fog really make this a very good image. The things pointed out are tweaks that would improve an already very nice image.

Robert Amoruso
10-26-2010, 06:23 AM
BW works well and the boat is an interesting subject. The FG does not hold up well compared to the boat and with it OOF, only distracts and does not add to the image. What I see going on behind the boat - the fog and interesting treeline intrigues me and I want to see more. Perhaps a horizontal framing with the boat a strong FG element and the fog and treeline int he BG was the way to go here.