PDA

View Full Version : Orchid

Norm Dulak
10-23-2010, 04:10 PM
Nikon D300 w/Nikkor Micro 105mm f/2.8 vr lens, HH
ISO Equiv. 200; MM +2; f/16 @ 1/60 sec
Nikon R1 Twin Strobes

From the Longwood Gardens Conservatory.

I used the twin strobes, knowing that as I set my camera, the background would be black. I think that's OK, because there was no particularly interesting background beyond the flower that that would have commended exploitation of more ambient light to bring in some of that background.

I view this particular orchid as akin to a diamond presented on a black, velvet cushion, and I hope that others may agree.

Incidentally, this orchid is correctly oriented as the image was captured.

Norm

Ken Childs
10-23-2010, 08:48 PM
Hey Norm, this is a real beauty! The black BG looks great to me. The yellow is a bit bright for my tastes so I would consider toning it down just a bit so more detail comes through. Being a fan of tighter crops I would also like to see a bit taken from the top, left and bottom. Overall this is really nice! :cheers:

John Chardine
10-24-2010, 08:31 AM
I like the black BG Norm. Spectacular flower. Reminds me a little bit of a Spanish Dancer. Exposure looks great. Was it possible to include a flower stem? I'm thinking that this would pin the flower and reduce the illusion of floating in space.

Steve Maxson
10-24-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi Norm. This is a spectacular flower well photographed. The colors really jump off the black background. I'm with John in wanting to see some of the stem vs the floating in space look - just my personal preference. :)

Norm Dulak
10-24-2010, 03:10 PM
OK!

For Ken, I've cropped a bit more tightly as you suggested in this repost. [I also tried to moderate the yellows a bit but abandoned that effort after my modification caused what I felt were adverse changes in the reds.:(]

For John & Steve, I've added the stem.:)

So what do you think is better, that floating in space look, or anchored by the stem?:cheers:

Norm

Roman Kurywczak
10-24-2010, 03:42 PM
Hey Norm,
Know the orchid well. Like the repost better with the stem. Selected only the yellows on the front petal. Layer....Selective color>red channel +100 on the black and -14 on the yellows. Yellow channel +13 on the blacks. This flattened it a bit too much.....so I added +5 on contrast layer. this tamed some of the brightness on the petal and gave it some more detail. Still may go in and clean up some flash highlights....but that is the nature of the flower.
PS May skip the contrast layer....so decide B4 you go there.

Andrew McLachlan
10-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Very cool looking blossom indeed. Orchids produce some of the most bizarre blossoms. I like Roman's re-post and like it with the stem too.

Norm Dulak
10-24-2010, 04:14 PM
Hey Norm,
Know the orchid well. Like the repost better with the stem. Selected only the yellows on the front petal. Layer....Selective color>red channel +100 on the black and -14 on the yellows. Yellow channel +13 on the blacks. This flattened it a bit too much.....so I added +5 on contrast layer. this tamed some of the brightness on the petal and gave it some more detail. Still may go in and clean up some flash highlights....but that is the nature of the flower.
PS May skip the contrast layer....so decide B4 you go there.

Roman:

While I may not be at the bottom of the PS learning curve, I'm also certainly not at the top. Your comments, efforts, tutorial and repost are all much appreciated! :cheers:

Norm

Steve Maxson
10-24-2010, 04:41 PM
I like it with the stem, Norm - but again, it's a matter of personal preference. :)

Norm Dulak
10-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Thanks everyone. I've really enjoyed sharing this image with you, and your comments in response!

Greg Basco
10-30-2010, 09:23 AM
Hi, Norm. I like the simplicity of this one, and it's a beautiful orchid.

I have to be honest though and say that the light looks like flat, direct flash. I would suggest that you start to experiment with moving the twin flash heads off-camera at different angles. This will really open a whole new world of lighting possibilities and will help to avoid the kind of flat, flashed light common with the flash heads right on camera axis. I think you'll enjoy the possibilities and the results. Even holding just one of the flash heads in your left hand for sidelighting or backlighting and varying the ratio between flash heads will really make a big difference.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Norm Dulak
10-30-2010, 01:21 PM
Hi, Norm. I like the simplicity of this one, and it's a beautiful orchid.

I have to be honest though and say that the light looks like flat, direct flash. I would suggest that you start to experiment with moving the twin flash heads off-camera at different angles. This will really open a whole new world of lighting possibilities and will help to avoid the kind of flat, flashed light common with the flash heads right on camera axis. I think you'll enjoy the possibilities and the results. Even holding just one of the flash heads in your left hand for sidelighting or backlighting and varying the ratio between flash heads will really make a big difference.

Cheers,
Greg Basco

Good suggestion Greg. Thanks.