PDA

View Full Version : how leaf mould starts

John Chardine
10-23-2010, 03:40 PM
At home in New Brunswick, the Acadian Forest does not produce this variety of deciduous leaves. But I'm in Ottawa this weekend and the ground is covered with these gems.

For this image I tried out my friend's Canon 15mm f2.8 fisheye. I like it. No crop. Just resized and sharpened.

Date: 23 October, 2010
Model: Canon EOS-1D Mark IV
Lens: EF15mm f/2.8 Fisheye @ 15 mm
Program: Aperture Priority
ISO 400, 1/30s, f/11

Norm Dulak
10-23-2010, 04:13 PM
I like it John. The composition is very interesting, and the red leaf to the right of center really sets it off.

The circular pattern of the outer leaves is like a vortex, drawing the eye into the red leaf. Very well done. TFS!

Ken Childs
10-23-2010, 08:43 PM
John, I really like the contrast between the red/purple leaf and the rest of the 'normal' leaves. I would take a little off the top and the right to get that cool leaf closer to a ROT position. What is that leaf from? I've seen fall colors from yellow to red but purple isn't a color I've seen before! :)

Steve Maxson
10-23-2010, 11:09 PM
Hi John. That red leaf really pops and you have good sharpness throughout. I also like the even lighting. I find that the numerous light-colored leaves on the right and left sides of the frame tend to draw my eye away from the more interesting (IMO) central portion of the image. I would suggest cropping a little off both sides to reduce those bright areas. :)

John Chardine
10-24-2010, 07:24 AM
Many thanks for the comments. I've cropped here and I lighten the centre portion of the image with a layer mask and circular gradient.

I forgot to mention that there is so much detail in the image I had to use a medium quality 50 for the jpeg compression.

Steve Maxson
10-24-2010, 10:16 AM
Hi John. I think the repost is a substantial improvement! :)

Julie Brown
10-24-2010, 11:06 AM
John, I liked the original because the lens perspective created a circular feeling on the edges, but I like the repost too. Two questions: by cropping, do you negate the perspective of the fisheye? Does this lens work best with a full frame or crop sensor?

Roman Kurywczak
10-24-2010, 11:08 AM
Hey John,
I have a different take on this one as I like the look of the fisheye here and the repost looses that look. I do think that Kens idea of just a bit off the top......eliminating the bright leaf at the center/left top edge....keeping the lower one entirely in with some space of course. For me this keeps the look and strengthens the main leaf position compositionally. Not the easiest comp to pull off.....and I think you did an excellent job overall.