PDA

View Full Version : Red-breasted Nuthatch

Jim Crosswell
10-23-2010, 02:55 PM
This was taken yesterday in my backyard set-up in Stoney Point. I wish the head was turned a little more and was sharper. I will hopefully get another chance to get him. All C&Cs are welcome and appreciated.

Canon 40D
500L F4
1.4 TC
ISO 400
f/8
1/400s
Tripod

Arthur Morris
10-23-2010, 03:01 PM
Love the pose and the BKGR. And the perch. The head angle is not far from perfect. Have you tried selectively sharpening the face with a contrast mask?

Jim Crosswell
10-23-2010, 04:30 PM
Love the pose and the BKGR. And the perch. The head angle is not far from perfect. Have you tried selectively sharpening the face with a contrast mask?

Hi Arthur. Thanks for your comment and suggestion. I selected sharpened the head using the unmask sharp feature and adjusted the area. I am still learning CS5 and am learning a lot from reading the comments and suggestions that people make on images. Still a long way to go and so much to learn. Any direction or tips are greatly appreciated.

Arthur Morris
10-23-2010, 06:48 PM
YAW Jim, I like to use a contrast mask for selective sharpening on my master files that way when they are sharpened for print they are not over-sharpened: Unsharp Mask at 15/65/0 or thereabouts. Yeah, it sounds strange but it works :)

Aidan Briggs
10-23-2010, 08:43 PM
HA, and sharpness are just barely off here. Nothing big enough to ruin this image. I like the simple perch and BG. Nice exposure too. I might crop a tad off the bottom.

Keep them coming!

Craig Brelsford
10-25-2010, 07:47 AM
Simple looks into the bird's world are much to my taste; I therefore very much enjoy this nuthatch. The sharpness of the head and the angle are not very far off. That said, I do salute you for wanting to go out and improve it. Let's hope your nuthatch comes back.