PDA

View Full Version : A Different Look At My Phalaenopsis Orchid...

Charles Wesley
10-23-2010, 02:34 PM
Trying to change the way I'm photographing my orchid collection. Wanted a look non-front on. Went with side lighting and a more diffused look. Like the color and texture. More of a feeling than a look to me. This is not for everyone.

Enjoy...

Canon 5D Mk ll
Sigma 180 mm. f/3.5 APO HSM DG EX macro lens
Bogen tripod

Canon D.P.P.
PS/CS 4
SS
Nik Color Efex Pro 3.0

Charlie Wesley
St. Augustine Beach, FL
http://naturesphotographs.com

Norm Dulak
10-23-2010, 04:27 PM
Charles:

I'm afraid that I'm not a fan of this sort of thing, although I do appreciate innovative approaches that present new ideas in photography.:) But for me, the exquisite beauty of the delicate elements of the flower viewed from the traditional perspective might have been better.

But thanks for sharing. If it does nothing more, your image stimulates us to try to find new ways to express our photographic art. And this is just my opinion. Others may well like what you have done here.

Norm

Ken Childs
10-23-2010, 08:39 PM
Charlie, it may not be for everyone but I sure do like it! I really like the light and the glow it presents. The only change I would make would be to crop a little from the top and right but as you might have noticed, I'm starting to trend towards tighter crops. :)

Steve Maxson
10-23-2010, 09:22 PM
Hi Charles. This is a beautiful alternative view of your orchid! Love the soft lighting, the detail, and the color. I might suggest a small crop from the right, but this also works well, as presented. :) Well done.

Roman Kurywczak
10-24-2010, 11:01 AM
Hey Charles,
Never been shy of the crop tool......so has appeal for me but this also works as presented. The light here is fantastic and I appreciate the different angle and it does work for me also......shows off the beautiful colors and delicate petals. Very well done with this different view.

Charles Wesley
10-24-2010, 12:14 PM
Roman, Steve, Ken & Norm,

Thanks for your comments. Must admit I'm addicted to growing and photographing my collection. I personally love their anatomy from all angles. Do prefer the front on look just wanted a different perspective on this image...

Anita Bower
10-25-2010, 04:34 AM
Lovely lighting, pleasing composition, dynamite colors! I wonder what a smaller aperture, with sharper focus would look like. I know what you mean about the joy of growing and photographing flowers. :-)