PDA

View Full Version : Tropical butterfly on painted bg

Bob Miller
10-23-2010, 12:35 PM
Did i go too far with painting to smooth the bg?
Nikon D-300
1/500 f4
ISO800
180 macro
Comments welcome!

Ken Childs
10-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Hey Bob, the sharp eye really draws me in but if you want an honest opinion on the BG, I think you did you go a bit too far with the painting. :)
If this isn't already a big crop, consider going to a tighter vertical crop with the eye in the upper left ROT position since the eye is the sharpest part of this image.

Steve Maxson
10-23-2010, 11:01 PM
Hi Bob. Here's another vote for the painting being a little overdone - it looks like some of the background greens are bleeding onto the butterfly in a few places, and onto the flowers as well. Excellent sharpness on the body of the butterfly, but I would wish for a little more DOF on the wings. :)

Roman Kurywczak
10-24-2010, 10:58 AM
Hey Bob,
I'm not disagreeing with my colleuges above.....but I think you were onto something pretty cool here with the effect......almost Orton like. I think if you tame it in the BF wings and body....this will have an interesting look to it and work with the shallow DOF and wing positions. This one has potential so IMO worth a rework!

Bob Miller
10-25-2010, 07:07 PM
Thanks for the feedback.....I was trying for a dreamy look.....but probabbly overdid it a bit..
Roman...Thanks for the encouragement....a rework is in the works!