PDA

View Full Version : Does this composition work?

Eric Patdu
10-23-2010, 12:32 PM
Saw this Carolina Wren in our backyard but this is the only acceptable photo I got. Would like to know your opinion on whether this composition works for you.

C&C on other aspects are also very much welcome.

Carolina Wren (Thryothorus ludovicianus) L 5.5" (14cm)
Shooting Info: September 28, 2010, Canon XSi + EF-S 55-250mm f4-5.6 IS, 250mm, f/5.6, 1/60 sec, ISO 800, 3.7m, hand held

http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1221/5107471977_57022b6d3e_b.jpg

Albert Rizzo
10-24-2010, 07:21 AM
Personally, I like it since it shows the subject in a very natural setting while showing enough of its identifying features.
You might want to try boosting colour saturation and contrast a bit to counter the effects of ISO 800.

Julie Kenward
10-24-2010, 11:33 AM
Eric, I also agree that this works because of the nice HA and pose. I do think you have way too much surroundings in the image - they really overpower the bird IMO. I'd go vertical with this and cut the right side off. I'd also readjust the greens to be less blue/more yellow and tone down the brightly colored branches that seem to jump out for our attention. I think if you made these changes you'd have a much stronger image on your hands.

Indranil Sircar
10-24-2010, 02:12 PM
I like it too. You got nice exposure on the bird. Agree with Julie on the crop suggestion and readjusting the color cast of the green. Very nice and TFS.

Dawn Currie
10-24-2010, 03:54 PM
I too like the bird in its habitat. I decided to try some of the suggestions in the previous posts. This version is cropped so his eye falls right on the cross hairs of the ROT grid. I also applied Photo Filter Warming 81 to get rid of the blue cast, and burn tool to control the highlight on the bright v-shaped branch area. When I did the cropping, I made sure to include some green to the right of these branches to stop the eye from leaving your image.

Eric Patdu
10-24-2010, 06:02 PM
Thank you everyone for the valuable inputs. I decided to post this because I mostly see photos of the whole bird and was wondering what the other photographers think about a partially hidden subject.

I also never thought of cropping this vertically but upon seeing the editing done by Dawn, I agree 100% that the new composition makes the viewer focus more on the bird than on the distracting background.

Regarding the bluish cast, I guess I would have to either train my eyes (as I didn't notice it) or I need to calibrate my monitor. :)

Thank you again and I will try to learn how to do the post-processing adjustments all of you have suggested.

Arthur Morris
10-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Good job of focusing through the leaves. I actually prefer the original wider view :) There is a good thread in the ER on attracting birds with tapes. This species sometimes responds well. There does not seem to be a green cast on the bird....

Eric Patdu
10-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks for the tip Mr. Morris. I have yet to discover the hidden treasures found in this forum.

Arthur Morris
10-28-2010, 11:13 AM
YAW. The ER is a great place to start. It would be easy to spend a lifetime here. Heck, that is what I am doing :)

Andrew McLachlan
10-30-2010, 06:52 PM
Hey Eric, a little getting to this one, but I agree with the above comments. I think you did quite well with this one. It is always nice to see photographs of birds in their surrounding habitat.

Eric Patdu
11-01-2010, 07:12 PM
Thanks Andrew! I also kinda like the image because it is like a birdwatcher's point of view. I was just not sure if this is appealing from a photographer's point of view. :)