PDA

View Full Version : Black winged Stilt

Richard Unsworth
10-22-2010, 11:11 AM
Hi

Saw a good number of these in Portugal; most were "ringed" this wasn't.
Taken in the Rio Formosa. Every evening I tried to get close to them as they fed in one of the old salt pans. They are so wary; just managed to get this as he took off!

Canon 40D, 50 CROP
ss 1/1600 iso 400 FL 370 f 5.6 Ev +1

USM @ 90 one pass

Rich

DeanNewman
10-22-2010, 02:57 PM
Well done getting details in blacks and most of the whites. Exposure on B&W subjects is tough. Probably need to tone the whites down on the bird's back to bring out more detail. Tail exposure looks excellent. HA not your friend here. I agree these birds are spooky. Not sure where your focus point was. Suspect it's where near wing and tail meet. The head/eye look soft. OOF legs and feet are a distractor as well.

Jonathan Ashton
10-22-2010, 04:42 PM
Very nice exposure but the bird is just a little soft, am unsure - is the bird just slightly out of focus or would a little more sharpening help, I think possibly the former. If I am wrong I would really like to see a reworked version as I think it is a very good shot.

Richard Unsworth
10-22-2010, 04:55 PM
Hi

Thanks for comments
I will check out in CS5 tomorrow and repost if I can improve

thx again
Rich

Gary Esman
10-22-2010, 08:47 PM
Ran a quick NR and slight G blur on the background. Sharpened. Hope you do not mind. Nice shot, needs a little more work. TFS.

Richard Unsworth
10-23-2010, 12:24 PM
OK so had another go from scratch

btw thx Gary/Johnathan and others

worked on Selective color for blacks, whites and neutrals
USM applied quite heavily

no noise reduction used

Rich

Jonathan Ashton
10-24-2010, 08:56 AM
I think both reworks are slightly better, the bird is still slightly out of focus but I think the process or reworking was a worthwhile exercise.