PDA

View Full Version : Big Improvement 2

Paul Lagasi
10-21-2010, 10:46 PM
I've always tried to photograph birds, showing their identifying features...
I took many images of this Horned Lark but the horns were always hidden from view.
He fluffed himself up, once, shook and then looked at me at a distance of 4 yards..showing his horns almost perfectly.
Thanks for looking

D700
300 2.8, f5, 1/500, iso-800
handheld, saturation boost, pattern metering
This image made possible by BPN :D

DeanNewman
10-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Best picture of Horned Lark "horns" I've ever seen. Expsoure is perfect and DOF you selected made the BG very pleasing. HA could have been better. The ledge/drop off on right edge of frame fights for my attention and putting bird center of attention (eye) in middle of frame keeps the image from being all it could be. Suggest cloning out ledge and re-cropping via rule of thirds.

Paul Guris
10-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Great shot, and you do show the horns very nicely. Of course, calling these tiny tufts an "identifying feature" seems a bit of a stretch! ;) Some birds were obviously named during a time when birding was done with a shotgun and birds were identified in the hand.

One of the things I love about your photo is how obvious it is that the birds plumage is fresh. The black collar and mask a softened by the tiniest pale feather tips that will soon where away. It gives the bird an overall soft and delicate feel. The background is wonderful too as compared to their more usual habitat of dirt or grass which they're colored to blend in with.

Great detail and great timing.

Paul Lagasi
10-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Paul Guris said "Great shot, and you do show the horns very nicely. Of course, calling these tiny tufts an "identifying feature" seems a bit of a stretch! ;)

Ha Ha you got me... Maybe identifying is the wrong word...should have said "Where they get their name "horned" from ;) thanks

Paul Guris
10-22-2010, 12:10 PM
The black collar and mask a softened by the tiniest pale feather tips that will soon where away.

UGH! "Where" away? Obviously it's Friday and my brain has already left the building.

Jonathan Ashton
10-22-2010, 04:54 PM
Very nice image I like the composure and fine detail, I think I would add a little canvas to put the bird more in line with the rule of thirds as i think it is a tad too large in the frame.

Paul Lagasi
10-24-2010, 01:23 AM
Thanks For comments, appreciate it..