PDA

View Full Version : Katherine Cove - Lake Superioir Provincial Park

Andrew McLachlan
10-21-2010, 08:48 PM

Here is one from Katherine Cove in Ontario's Lake Superior Provincial Park. I shot this one about 4 years ago. I always like this one as a color image, but was never completely satisfied with it. I have decided that when I am not satisfied with the final result, maybe it would work better as B&W. A heavier than normal use of the highlight slider in Shadows/Highlights brought out the details in the clouds and it was converted to B&W with Nik's Silver Efex. I cropped off some of the rocks at the bottom of the frame putting the horizon in the center.

I often refer to this image as my closest call in nature. Less than 24 hours after I took this photograph a family was attacked by an injured wolf at this exact location.

Nikon D200
18-70mm lens @ 18mm (effective focal length 27mm)
ISO 100
f16 @ 0.7 sec.
Bubble level
tripod and ballhead
grad filter

Andrew McLachlan
10-21-2010, 08:51 PM
OOPS! Please excuse my typo in Superior.

Roger Clark
10-21-2010, 10:05 PM
Andrew,

Wow! Nice stunning image. It works very well in B&W. The clouds are amazing. On distraction is the halo on the horizon and arouns some of the rocks. I think the image will have greater impact without the halos.

Roger

Andrew McLachlan
10-21-2010, 10:38 PM
Thanks for pointing out those halos Roger. I missed those. I'll have to go back and fix them up a bit. Thanks also for your comments. Much appreciated.

Roman Kurywczak
10-22-2010, 11:26 AM
Hey Andrew,
Roger got the halos first so worth cleaning up. I do think the B&W conversion was a VG choice. Something about the sky/clouds looks funky to me.....the almost peak like structure in the center for some reason seems odd to me. I'm going to study this one and see if I can put my finger on it.