PDA

View Full Version : Burchell's Sandgrouse

Pieter de Waal
10-21-2010, 04:46 PM

Spent three exciting mornings in the Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park trying to get flight photographs of these pigeon sized birds. They fly in from the surrounding sand dunes about 2hrs after sunrise, circling the waterhole gathering birds as they circle, eventually descending in flocks of up to 100 birds and more. Males will immerse and absorb water in their chest feathers to take to their chicks who could be up to 60km away. It gets even more exciting when the resident Lanner Falcons start hunting the Doves and Sandgrouse around the waterhole.

50D/EF500f4+1.4/f8@1/2500/iso800/EC+0.33 - removed an oof bird behind this one.

Arthur Morris
10-21-2010, 05:27 PM
Quite excellent despite the somewhat harsh light. Love the position of the feet and the sharp, sharp head. Good job with the extra bird. The rock could go too....

Andrew McLachlan
10-21-2010, 06:52 PM
I like this capture. Quite nice with good wing positions too. Agree with Arthur on removing the rock also. Well done!

Alan Murphy
10-21-2010, 07:09 PM
Great pose. I would go a bit darker.

Kiran Poonacha
10-22-2010, 07:39 AM
beautiful pose and BG... I would love to see the falcons hunt sometimes....

DeanNewman
10-22-2010, 07:42 AM
I'm hesitant to be the dissenter in such an august group but I like the rock in the frame. Without it the sense of enviroment wouldn't be nearly as evident. Its obvious the bird is launching from something and the rock confirms terra firma is close and the bird hasn't been perched in a tree. Agree with Alan, the rock and BG could be darker. My two cents...

RAM MALLYA
10-22-2010, 07:56 AM
lovely flight shot

Pieter de Waal
10-23-2010, 01:27 AM
Thanks all for your comments and feedback much appreciated. Dean that is one of the reasons that I left the rock and agree that darker would be better. However I removed the rock and it improves the image considerably focusing attention on the bird and a presenting a cleaner image.

philperry
10-23-2010, 05:32 AM
Great shot Pieter. Lovely details on the sandgrouse in the early morning light.

I would have to disagree with Dean about the rock though. I am pretty sure that the rock is not a natural feature - rather it is a rock put around the edge of the waterhole (pumped water). So it is fine to delete it.