PDA

View Full Version : A night at the Barn

Roman Kurywczak
10-21-2010, 09:17 AM
I know many of you have been to the Tetons to photograph the barns on Mormon Row......I have the usual shots of this over the years and even a few night ones......but this year I was trying for something a bit different.....especially with the iconinc locations of the area. This continues my moonlit series that I was trying this time out but with a twist......I forced my hand under the door and put a flashlight inside the barn to give the look of a bulb or candle being on inside......rest is moonlit.
Canon 1D Mark lll wit the 17-40mm lens at f4 for 30 seconds and ISO 6400 all tripod mounted w/ bubble level in the hotshoe. Slight wide angle correction in photoshop. I did also take this at the more traditional area......but I actually felt the WA lean added to this.

Robert Amoruso
10-21-2010, 09:53 AM
Well you answered my question on the lean. :)

As always, excellence of execution Roman. Great idea on the flashlight. I like the framing with the mountain BG and the sky is perfect.

Nick Palmieri
10-21-2010, 05:57 PM
Really cool image, the stars are perfect. Can't wait to go "Roamin with Roman" at Arches in December!

Arthur Morris
10-21-2010, 06:11 PM
The sky is amazing as is the moon lighting. Is the lean accentuated because the barn is on the right side of the frame?

Andrew McLachlan
10-21-2010, 06:36 PM
Another fine moonlit scene Roman!

Roman Kurywczak
10-21-2010, 09:18 PM
Hey All, Thanks! being close to the subject combined with the the WA lens tends to exagerate the distortion.....not sure if it is because of being on the right Some people don't like the lean.....I did remove some with lens correction but may revisit it and leave it. Perhaps Roger know why the distortion happens....

Roger Clark
10-21-2010, 09:59 PM
Hi Roman,

Beautiful image.

The distortion is due to the wide angle lens pointed up, to the camera focal plane (the sensor plane) is not parallel to the vertical edges of the building. This is much like tall trees with a wide angle lens and the camera pointing up. A tilt-shift lens (or view camera) would help, or software. But at high ISO I feel that one can't afford resampling in software to fix this problem if one wants to make a large print.

To me the image says several things. The mountains and the stars appear behind the building (of course). And the front (that we view) is facing the right edge as if exiting. Thus the main components, building, mountains and stars appear disconnected. Did you take an image to the with your position right? I would think that by moving to the right and placing the Grand Teton to the right of the roof with the galaxy setting to the right of the roof too would bring the three elements together. Then, with the front of the building more centered (and the bulk of the building to the left edge) I think the distortion on the front would be minimized. That would then bring the three elements together (building, mountains and stars) -- I think.

I have many sunrise images from that location, but never went there at night. Nice job.

Roger

Jeffrey Sipress
10-22-2010, 11:08 AM
I was thinking everything that Roger just stated. I've been there, too. There is only a small area where you can place the camera there that establishes a pleasant relationship between the barn and mountain peaks. In Romans image here, the barn seems placed too far the the right, clearly to get the peaks to the left. In a vertical shot, there isn't much space left to the right, and the result sort of breaks a general rule of wildlife imagemaking. If that was a creature, the guys on the wildlife boards here would shred you for that! The other issue is the convergence of the barn sides,as Roger pointed out. This is where proper architectural photography technique comes into play. Gotta keep the film (or sensor) plane parallel to the walls. Of course, one can always think outside the box.....

Roman Kurywczak
10-22-2010, 11:17 AM
Thanks again all! Roger and Jeffrey......have the more traditional one too! I could get the rest of the WA distortion out in post.....just wondered how people felt about the other angle. I'm one of those who aren't too concerned with WA lean.....but I do realize it is definitely a personal preference. Will post the "other" barn angle later. Since I was out there alone.....and that almost never happens at sunrise....figured I'd work a different angle to see what I could come up with!