PDA

View Full Version : Bugling

denise ippolito
10-21-2010, 08:06 AM
I took this image as a scenic on the road between Grand Teton NP and Yellowstone NP. I flipped the bull to look into the scene instead of out of it. I tonemapped it in Photomatix Pro and added a Nik Color Efex filter called glamour glow. I also added a rainbow for fun w/ the gradient tool.

I wish I had a bit more room on the right -

*****This scene is suppose to be whimsical and not natural. I should have said that in the post. In no way was I trying to replicate a natural rainbow. The scene itself is kind of surreal with the colors, so I was going for a fun look. I figured since I put such an unrealistic look to the rainbow then it would be a give away-sorry to confuse.

Indranil Sircar
10-21-2010, 08:48 AM
Hi Denise, very nice landscape and well framed. I like all the elements especially the lone bull. I could only suggest a bit more contrast to the sky. Nicely done.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-21-2010, 09:39 AM
Denise,

Greetings. The landscape overall with the bull is appealing to me. The rainbow doesn't look natural to me.

Adding rainbows are tricky because:
- Rainbows form with their center point on a line with the sun, either with the viewer between the rainbow and the sun, or with the rainbow between the viewer and the sun (sun dogs, for instance). (In a sun shower, look away from the sun to find the rainbow ;) )...
- The diameter of the rainbow is respective to the distance between the viewer and the particulate source.
- The center point of a rainbow if the viewer is on the ground, is below the horizon.

Rainbows depicted that don't comply with the above are highly unlikely to be found in nature. I think, this translates into a subtle artificial look... or maybe it's just me.

Cheers,

-Michael-

denise ippolito
10-21-2010, 10:15 AM
Michael, It is suppose to be whimsical and not natural. I should have said that in the post. In no way was I trying to replicate a natural rainbow. The scene itself is kind of surreal with the colors, so I was going for a fun look. I figured since I put such an unrealistic look to the rainbow then it would be a give away-sorry to confuse.:)

Paul Lagasi
10-21-2010, 10:17 AM
I like this its almost has an Orton type look to it, I think the fence, elk and hills make for a nice scene..its seems you had a smashing time out there..images to process for a while.....TFS

Christopher Miller
10-21-2010, 01:47 PM
Very nice landscape, Denise. All the elements come together very nicely. I like the rainbow and the soft feel from the filter. Well done.

Andrew McLachlan
10-21-2010, 03:49 PM
Denise this is a lovely composite! I think you pulled all the elements in nicely. Flipping the Elk was a good idea. Can't decide if the brightest areas of the sky need to be toned down a touch or not. Great work on this one!

Cheryl Slechta
10-21-2010, 07:59 PM
Denise, I like it. I thought "Orton" when I first saw it also. The fence is really neat - I wish I had one like it:)

Robert Amoruso
10-22-2010, 06:53 AM
Denise,

I like the graphic look of the fence posts in the FG. I understand the why on the rainbow, but I think I would like the better w/o it.

denise ippolito
10-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Thank you all for your comments. I appreciate them.
Robert, Nice to see you here in OOTB!:o

Judy Howle
10-22-2010, 10:17 AM
I like the base image very much and the glamour glow soft look works perfectly.

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-22-2010, 12:41 PM
I figured since I put such an unrealistic look to the rainbow then it would be a give away-sorry to confuse.:)

Oh, I just have to be hit over the top of my head a little more than most ;) Oddly, now that I understand it, I kinda like it :cool:

Cheers,

-Michael-

denise ippolito
10-22-2010, 01:07 PM
Judy and Michael, Thank you both kindly.
Michael<yikes> Now I'm really undecided about the rainbow!!:o

Kerry Perkins
10-22-2010, 11:34 PM
Denise, I like the scene a lot and I'm a big fan of the glamour glow filter. It can be used in a lot of situations. The placement of the elk is super and personally I like the rainbow. :cool:

Steve Adkins
10-23-2010, 11:28 PM
Plus 1 more for the rainbow... but what I enjoy the most, is the hint of breath from the bugler.:o

denise ippolito
10-24-2010, 06:13 PM
Steve, Me too:)
Thanks Kerry.