PDA

View Full Version : Oh no it's another Gull!

Richard Unsworth
10-21-2010, 06:24 AM
Hi

Actually dont have ID for this if someone can advise

I have been trying to practice on these guys;' I find them fun to photo and they offer good opportunities re whites etc.
This one was on the beach at Saleem in Portugal.

Nothing done except crop and one pass of USM at 80; added a little contrast.

Comments welcome as usual

Canon 40 D, 100-400 @ 170 , F10.0 SS1/1000

Roman Kurywczak
10-21-2010, 09:27 AM
Hi Richard,
Yes.....I do pop in here occasionally. Gulls are great practice subjects because most of us can find them easily enough.....so great subjects to hone our skills on. (can't help with the ID though). I think you composed this nicely with the gullplaced well in the frame and the sharpness exactly where it needs to be. Only recommendation for you is to try this same exact image either earlier or later.....when the sun angle is lower and the light is sweeter......that alone would make this image that much stronger. Often times just the better light quality is what seperates the good.....from the great. Just something to keep in mind for future trips because the rest is spot on!

Richard Unsworth
10-21-2010, 09:58 AM
Hi Roman

thx for the comments

reposting with auto levels run, makes the image much stronger I think

Rich

Stuart Hill
10-21-2010, 11:09 AM
Hi Richard,

One more tip from the archives of BPN is get your face in the dirt. A low shooting position will enhance the image as the viewer will be on the same plane as the bird. Will also help with the OOF background with maybe opening up the lens to 5.6-8 and the added increase in shutter speed.

Like the image and the eye seems to be staring right back at me.

regards.
Stu.

Richard Unsworth
10-21-2010, 12:01 PM
Hi Stu

thx for the comments; understand re aperture; I was gauging the effect of stopping down on quality, many of my pics are at 400mm and 5.6, and as the bird was nice and close I was trying different combos!

Roman Kurywczak
10-21-2010, 04:13 PM
I'd have to say the repost is stronger.....although be careful on the neck and upper breast area. Could be time of day....but could also be in the downsizing and compression.

Paul Guris
10-21-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm not really up on my Portuguese avifauna, but the bill size and pattern, the head pattern, and the remaining juvenile plumage on the otherwise white underparts make this a second year Lesser Black-backed Gull. Did you just photograph it? If not, what was the date?

If you have any side views of this bird, I'd love to see them. Upperpart color and shape is important for gull ID.

Julie Kenward
10-21-2010, 06:34 PM
Very nice image, Richard. I think Roman handled the techs but, for me, I'd take a bit off the bottom and left side, moving the bird a little lower and more off center.

Richard Unsworth
11-04-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm not really up on my Portuguese avifauna, but the bill size and pattern, the head pattern, and the remaining juvenile plumage on the otherwise white underparts make this a second year Lesser Black-backed Gull. Did you just photograph it? If not, what was the date?

If you have any side views of this bird, I'd love to see them. Upperpart color and shape is important for gull ID.

sorry Paul missed my reply to yourpost
pic was taken a couple of weeks ago, unfortunately no sid eview of this; they all flew away just after this pic as I got a little close
Rich