PDA

View Full Version : Yellow-rumped Warbler

Jim Crosswell
10-20-2010, 06:07 PM
This is taken at Ojibway Nature Area in Windsor. I removed a couple of leaves at the head and back. All C&Cs are appreciated.

Canon 40D
500L F4
1.4 TC
ISO 400
f/6.3
1/250s
Tripod

Julie Brown
10-20-2010, 07:02 PM
Hi Jim. Overall, the bird is clear and sharp, and stands out against the soft background. The top of the head might be slightly soft, but I would be happy to have made this image!

Arthur Morris
10-20-2010, 10:31 PM
Yes, the wings are a tiny bit sharper than the wing coverts but otherwise quite loverly: light, BKKG, and the pretty leaves as accents.

Were you in AI Servo or One-Shot AF? If the former, where was the active focusing sensor?

Jonathan Ashton
10-21-2010, 01:49 AM
Very nice natural looking shot, it is my guess you focussed on the wing primaries as opposed to the eye. Portrait shots like these, I often find myself using the top central sensor. I also sometimes select the central sensor and once I have focussed on the eye I press the AF button which I have preset to inactivate autofocus and then I recompose. This has the same effect as using one shot AF and half way depressing the shutter to hold focus.

Daniel Cadieux
10-21-2010, 05:22 AM
Apart from the critical focus not being on the face this image rocks. Selective sharpening on the face may bring it on par with the rest of the body, at least for web presentation. Great BG, including the extra branch...

Mital Patel
10-21-2010, 06:26 AM
what a cute birdie. as this days am looking forward to find more warblers as its really difficult to get in such open i really love this shot. very well taken the opportunity

Stu Bowie
10-21-2010, 09:35 AM
Jim, I like the soft light, and you have captured good detail on the little guy. I agree, a little selective sharpening on the head will work well. Lovely BG colours too.

Jim Crosswell
10-21-2010, 10:11 AM
Yes, the wings are a tiny bit sharper than the wing coverts but otherwise quite loverly: light, BKKG, and the pretty leaves as accents.

Were you in AI Servo or One-Shot AF? If the former, where was the active focusing sensor?

I was in One-Shot AF with the center sensor only. I pointed the center at the eye and kept the shutter halfway and moved the camera for the shot. I don't remember if the bird moved or not.

Thanks to everyone for the kind comments and suggestions.

Arthur Morris
10-21-2010, 11:29 AM
Thanks Jim. It is most likely that the bird moved a bit :) (assuming that the majority of images that you make with One-Shot are in fact sharp on the eye)