PDA

View Full Version : Cheetah - warning some gore

Rachel Hollander
10-20-2010, 04:54 PM
I was going back through some of the photos from my earlier Africa trips. This one was taken in March 2005 on Chief's Island in Botswana. It was raining and we came across 2 cheetah brothers that still hunted as a pair. They had taken down this impala (I think) and were busy stuffing themselves. I also have a couple of shots where this cheetah has stuck his head under the skin of the impala to get at the more tasty parts.

Taken with a Canon Elan 7E film camera and the 100-400. Sorry, don't have the EXIF data. I had all the images put on disc at the time they were developed. Boy the ppi was much lower then. Selective sharpening applied to the cheetah's head and the eyes were lightened slightly.

C&C welcome and appreciated. Thanks,

Rachel

Sid Garige
10-20-2010, 07:14 PM
Bloody face and eye contact. Like the way you included the kill in the image. Very nice job Rachel.

Ken Watkins
10-21-2010, 02:12 AM
Amazing that quality has come so far in such a short time, what's film?:D

Nice shot not really gruesome, just nature.

Steve Kaluski
10-21-2010, 03:20 AM
I think you have achieved a good result from the medium used. With film there was no chance of getting things wrong, and NO cloning, (well you could, it was expensive).;)

I would agree, it is nature, nothing gory.

Robert Amoruso
10-21-2010, 06:51 AM
Nice work Rachel. Digital scan quality looks very good. Just right with the cat looking at you with the bloody face and partial view of the kill.

Rachel Hollander
10-21-2010, 07:36 AM
Thanks for the kind comments. I seem to remember that in our group of about 20 there were 2 people shooting with DSLRs (the 10D) and maybe a couple with digital P&Ss but the majority of people used film.

Thanks again,
Rachel

DanWalters
10-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Really like the red on the face and that look the cheetah is giving you. Also like how you left in some of the kill as well.

Harshad Barve
10-23-2010, 07:46 PM
This is super image , lovely the bloody colors here
TFS

Rachel Hollander
10-24-2010, 07:22 AM
Thanks Dan and Harshad