PDA

View Full Version : The guy on the top

kostas nianiopoulos
10-20-2010, 04:54 PM
http://img832.imageshack.us/img832/9490/theguyonthetop.jpg

crop, levels , patch tool , clone tool , topaz denoise , focus magic .

canon 50d
1/60 (ex 430 II on )
f16
iso 400
EF USM IS 100MM MACRO L.

thanks for watching .

Roman Kurywczak
10-21-2010, 09:36 AM
Hey Kostas,
You are getting better with the flash work! The body is nice and sharp and the falloff on the wings is expected. They don't hang around or sit still too much.....but if it had a getter wing position it would have been even sharp there. I do like this as presented though with a nice low angle to it....only recommendation is to tone down the brightest flowers a bit more and it will strengthen the connection with the flowers. Nicely done!

Steve Maxson
10-21-2010, 11:02 AM
Hi Kostas. Colorful flowers and good sharpness on your skipper. It's pretty easy to see why they need that long coiled proboscis - to reach WAY down into those long tubular flowers for nectar. I like the grayish background in the LL more that the black in the UR - not sure if the situation allowed you to do anything about that though. I'm seeing some ghosting - particularly along the upper edges of some of the flowers. This can be caused if the flash settings and the ambient light are too close to each other allowing 2 images to be recorded - if there is any camera or subject movement, ghosting can occur. :)

Ken Childs
10-22-2010, 10:47 AM
Hey Kostas, this guy has seen better days, hasn't it? I have lots of butterflies in this condition around here right now, too. Winter is coming! :)

Roman and Steve have made some great suggestions. The only thing I might add is that I'd like to see the right antenna separate from the flower so you may want to try to clone out the part of the petal that is touching it. I think if you removed the bright white section of that petal, it would still look natural.

Julie Kenward
10-22-2010, 09:26 PM
They sure get ratty towards the end of the season, don't they? You did well here, Kostas. I like the low angle as well and the direct eye contact. I noticed that the BG is a little bit lighter right below the body and think that might work well above the body, too. Maybe a slight levels adjustment to bring that up a bit on the UR area and then let it fade to black.

pat lillich
10-25-2010, 09:28 PM
beautiful gentle light from your flash - and I love the colors - great picture.