PDA

View Full Version : Red-breasted Nuthatch

Bill Dix
10-20-2010, 01:56 PM
White-breasted Nuthatches are regular visitors at our feeder, but in my years of window-gazing I've never seen a Red-breasted Nuthatch here. This one happened by while I was trying for Chickadees, and although the HA is a few degrees off, I was pleased to get my first RBNH image. A cloud passed over to drop the light and SS below optimum at the moment he appeared (I was shooting in Ap mode); maybe a case for using Auto-ISO? I've seen him twice since, and I've been told that there is an irruption of this species here this fall, so maybe he'll give me another chance.

D90| 80-400 VR @ 310mm, w/25mm ext. tube | ISO 400 | 1/40s @ f/8 | -0.7 EV | Tripod

Stu Bowie
10-20-2010, 02:01 PM
Bill, congrats on your first image of this guy, and as you say, hopefully he will return for more shots of him. Interesting pose, as if he's ready to take off. Good detail, and I would maybe selectively sharpen the top of his head a tad. Stands out very well against the darker BG.

Myer Bornstein
10-20-2010, 02:10 PM
Bill Very nice capture. Yes so far this year I have seen more Red-breasted nuthatches than I can remember for many years, on one bird walk we had 30+ in the space of 1/2 hour. Good opportunities to capture more pictures. I have been experimenting with auto ISO on my D3s after reading a D3 pro technical Guide from Nikon for action photography mainly sports but seems to work with moving creatures :D

Dumay de Boulle
10-20-2010, 03:06 PM
Nicely done Bill..Great color and BG

Grace Scalzo
10-20-2010, 03:46 PM
I've been at my computer all afternoon, but I swear I see motion blur in this bird's head. Or maybe his head was just beyond your dof?? In any case, a good start on this species...many are being reported on the East coast, so I think you'll get more chances with them this fall and winter.

Bill Dix
10-20-2010, 04:07 PM
I've been at my computer all afternoon, but I swear I see motion blur in this bird's head. Or maybe his head was just beyond your dof?? In any case, a good start on this species...many are being reported on the East coast, so I think you'll get more chances with them this fall and winter.

Hi Grace. I'm sure there is some motion blur. I think it is also in the breast feathers, despite my efforts to take it out. 1/40s is just not fast enough. DOF could also be a factor, but I thought f/8 might be good enough. I'll keep trying.

Jim Fenton
10-20-2010, 04:33 PM
Little beauty you have here :)

Excellent background, sharpness, color and exposure look great to my eyes. The HA detracts some as the subject is looking away.

It almost feels as if the plant in the foreground on the left. especially with eh few blasts of pink/ red leaves, is enough to distract my eyes away from the main subject at first glance.

Jim Crosswell
10-20-2010, 06:19 PM
Nice image Bill. I had one around my house on Sunday. Last time I saw one in the area was years ago.