10-20-2010, 12:56 PM
Canon EOS REBEL T1i
Canon 100mm f/2.8 Macro
Av mode
1/6"
F11
ISO:200
Tripod
Canon 430EX w/softbox attached: On, Fired (comp -3 w/wide panel)
LR and CS3

Due to severe drought conditions in this area, the only way to get nice shots of fall colors is to go to the macro lens. Most trees are going from green to brown. :(

I've always liked the odd shaped seeds of a Partridge Pea. The leaf is from a Hickory. Shot indoors with window light and a small amount of flash. Rotated, cropped.

Valerio Tarone
10-20-2010, 02:09 PM
hi Ken fine and interestingcompo.The oblique lines are strong! the other lines, in theBG,guide the eye to the seeds making a strong geometry. do I well understand to write a thread every 5 threads?

Ken Childs
10-20-2010, 04:45 PM
hi Ken fine and interestingcompo.The oblique lines are strong! the other lines, in theBG,guide the eye to the seeds making a strong geometry. do I well understand to write a thread every 5 threads?
Hi Valerio,

We would love it if you could post comments to at least 5 images every time you post one of your pictures. Posting critiques is a great way to teach yourself to become a better photographer. It causes you to think about what you like or do not like about an image. That can help you to think about what you should be looking for when you are taking pictures yourself. :)

kostas nianiopoulos
10-20-2010, 04:57 PM
i love this composition , colour and sharpness looks pretty good to me , well done !!!

Dave Woeller
10-21-2010, 09:26 AM
I really like the sharpness throughout this image. I am also fascinated by the curl in the left pod section, allowing us to see the edge detail ,and just a hint of the back/outside of the pod. It just adds another dimension to this images story.

Roman Kurywczak
10-21-2010, 09:32 AM
Hey Ken,
Super job with the light and I really like the contrast of the pod with the leaf color......seeds take it up yet another notch with great detail in the blacks. If you "arranged" it......looks very natural so good job there too. Overall....great job on this!

Steve Maxson
10-21-2010, 10:01 AM
Hi Ken. We had the opposite problem up this way (a very wet summer), but the same result - the leaves quickly went from green to brown to down.
This is another very cool photo. Nice job on the lighting, I like all the diagonals in the comp, the open seed pod and the decaying leaf set the season, and the scattered seeds add the final touch. Also, good sharpness throughout, and nice detail in those blacks. Very well done!:cheers:

Mike Moats
10-21-2010, 06:22 PM
Hey Ken, I like the comp, good details through out. Nice lighting

WIlliam Maroldo
10-22-2010, 12:13 AM
Ken; I like the concept, detail, and compoistion. What I think would improve the image, actually if you shot the scene again, is the inclusion of some shadows to give the image a more 3D feel; it is looks very flat. This may have been your intent, and there is nothing wrong with it, but IMO soft edged (and subdued) shadows would help take it up a notch. regards~Bill

Thomas Herou
10-22-2010, 07:05 AM
Superb compositon!

Bob Miller
10-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Hi Ken...I like this image but would like to see more shadows and perhaps some vignetting to highlight the seedpod and create some mood....just a thought!

Julie Kenward
10-22-2010, 09:29 PM
That is really an interesting pod, Ken...don't think I've ever seen anything like it. I like the comp and the little square seeds falling out of it. There is one spot on the leaf right next to the furthest left pod that I'd clone out but everything else is very nice. Lovely macro image.

Jay Sheinfield
10-23-2010, 04:51 AM
Hey Ken.............

Out-of-the-park comp! Artistic..............

Anita Bower
10-23-2010, 06:09 AM
Great way to compensate for the lack of fall colors. Of course, I love macros, so I'm biased. Nice job here. I especially like the curved shell and the little hairs. By the way, why am I not seeing thumbnail images?

Ken Childs
10-23-2010, 06:52 AM
Great way to compensate for the lack of fall colors. Of course, I love macros, so I'm biased. Nice job here. I especially like the curved shell and the little hairs. By the way, why am I not seeing thumbnail images?
Thanks everyone for the comments!

Anita, there have been some recent changes to BPN and whenever than happens there are usually a few bugs to work out but you should be able to see the thumbnails of the images hosted on BPN. Images hosted off site are missing their thumbnails for now. Let me know if no thumbnails are showing at all.

Charles Wesley
10-23-2010, 02:38 PM
Ken,

This is nothing short of brilliant IMO. Wish I had a photo this well done in my files. Thanks for sharing...

Charlie Wesley
St. Augustine Beach, FL
http://naturesphotographs.com

Andrew McLachlan
10-24-2010, 04:05 PM
Well done Ken. Nice sharpness throughout and nice placement of the seeds.