PDA

View Full Version : A Sierras View

Dave Mills
10-20-2010, 10:41 AM
I was looking through some files I shot a few years ago and came across a 4 frame pano I never processed.(must have been something I didn't care for at the time) I merged the images and thought it was interesting.
When one goes out west to shoot the fall colors you can never be 100% sure it's going to be just right. In this case the colors had mostly past in the area. Ten miles down the road was a different story.
Do you think the tree should have been positioned closer to the left?
Nikon D300,18-70,F22,1/10,0 comp,tripod mtd

Jeffrey Sipress
10-20-2010, 11:32 AM
Hi Dave,

I like this image because it shows a more common scene at this area that the short lived peak color moment. Is this Conway Summit or near it (just n of Mono Lake)? Tree's fine with me. One thing about nature shooting, you get what's there when you get there....

Dave Mills
10-20-2010, 11:43 AM
Hi Jeff, I think it is Conway Summit. I forgot the exact location....

Nick Palmieri
10-20-2010, 08:58 PM
I like the balance of the mountains with the FG tree on the right. I think in light of these two subjects the slight hint of fall color and and the lines of trees in the MG pull you nicely through the image. TFS

Robert Amoruso
10-21-2010, 06:41 AM
Dave,

This one came out well. I like the balanced composition (mountain BG left and tree FG right). In between them are layers of diagonal hills creating good depth. My two suggestions are frame a bit wider next time to have cropping space once the pano is assembled as I would have like to see a tad more room above the large tree and dodge/lighten the lower left corner as I find the darkness drags the eye into the corner.

Van Hilliard
10-21-2010, 08:36 AM
Very effective scene with a grand scope. Robert makes a good point, I think. I too was drawn to the darkness on the left and had considered cropping a bit on the left to deal with the darkness there. The problem with that, of course, is that it reduces the panorama's scope. Perhaps lightening would be the best solution. Beautiful as is though.

Roman Kurywczak
10-21-2010, 08:47 AM
Hey Dave,
I think it turned out well even without the colors. You lose some of the drama with pano's because of the size limitations here. I my actually prefer this w/o the tree but as mentioned above the tree does provide balance so it works as presented also. Nice job with the stitch too and Robert's suggestion of lightening the LLC is a good one.

Andrew McLachlan
10-21-2010, 06:48 PM
Hi Dave,

I like this pan. Too bad the color was mostly gone, but it is still a very lovely shot. Agree with Robert for a tad more room above the tree. When I shoot my panoramics now, if possible, I try to shoot a series of vertical images. I have found this gives me a wider view, much bigger file and lots of room to fine tune the crop after assembling the pan.