PDA

View Full Version : Cackling goose

Bob Kothenbeutel
10-20-2010, 08:50 AM
This was taken at Ridgefield NWR in southwestern WA state. It is a drive through only refuge where you are not allowed to get out of your car. There were hundreds if not thousands of these small geese there taking refuge from the hunters.

Canon 1D3
500mm f4L IS
ISO 400, f4.5, 1/4000 sec

http://www.rlkimages.com/cop_mine_content/albums/userpics/Cackling_goose2_101610.jpg

Janet Heintz
10-20-2010, 11:55 AM
Bob,
This is really nice, I always have trouble with these kind of shots. Just not fast enough I guess. Love the colors and sharpness.
Well done.
Janet

Richard Stern
10-20-2010, 01:10 PM
Hi Bob,

Nice sharp bird, well exposed, good head and wing angle, and it shows the small head and characteristic head shape of the species nicely. I would prefer a less square crop with more room on the left for the bird to fly into. I might also consider cleaning up the dark smudges in the blue part of the bg.

Richard

Bill Dix
10-20-2010, 01:40 PM
Great flight shot, wing-up position and beautiful background. Thanks for posting this; occasionally one or two of these guys make their way to my neck of the woods to mix in with the ubiquitous Canada Geese, and this helps me visualize their different head and neck shape very nicely.