PDA

View Full Version : Oh, That Wave!

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-20-2010, 01:00 AM

Saw Kerry's post - Wave, what wave?... couldn't resist putting up this one :D

Kerry, hope you don't mind my playing off your title...

Cheers,

-Michael-

Hilary Hann
10-20-2010, 06:13 AM
Hi Michael, I like the imagery in this, would be interested in what processes you used to achieve this. The light coming through some of the feathers add s nice touch to the effect.

Kerry Perkins
10-20-2010, 08:14 AM
Hi Michael, love the action and all that water! Title is cool. :cool: Looks like your gull figured out what was happening and this makes a nice follow-on for what happens next. :)

denise ippolito
10-20-2010, 09:19 AM
Michael, That is some wave- looks like the gull got out of Dodge just in time! Interesting look.:)

Paul Lagasi
10-20-2010, 10:19 AM
That is one large wave, bet the gull was hauling, nice effect and composition...TFS

Michael Gerald-Yamasaki
10-20-2010, 12:03 PM
Hilary, Kerry, Denise, Paul,

Thanks much for commenting. The gull was sitting on the edge of a rock with many others when the big wave came in. This one was kinda slow on the uptake and got totally drenched... lucky he didn't get knocked down :p

Hillary, most of the effect is strong backlighting of the scene... I enhanced the color contrast through Lab mode curves (primarily a steep b channel curve putting a warm cast to the lit parts and a cooler cast to the shadows, water in shadow).

And, speaking of slow on the uptake... I took the following during that same year... waves were huge all winter. I was all set up to shoot a big wave crashing on the deck on the other side (at the Monterey Bay Aquarium)... the deck that was at the same level that I was on :o ... well, I didn't get that wet... water spray to about 10' above the deck...

Cheers,

-Michael-

Judy Howle
10-20-2010, 03:28 PM
That's some wave! When I first saw it I thought it was a composite! Terrific image and nice processing.

Cheryl Slechta
10-20-2010, 05:52 PM
Michael, those are huge! I like the image you created.

Christopher Miller
10-21-2010, 02:12 PM
Great action, Michael! That's quite a wave. Love the feel of this. Very well done! :)