PDA

View Full Version : Down by the beach

Rene Quenneville
10-19-2010, 08:31 PM
Another picture from this summer vacation. This one is at Sand Beach in Acadia national park in Maine. What a beautiful place! Again mid-day and I tried the wide angle lens with which I am not very familiar. I did try to position foreground elements and I chose a fast shutter speed fin order to make sure to freeze the water movement. The impact on depth of field seems to be ok. Please comment, I need to improve my skills. (note: there is no clipping in the raw file)

Nikon D70s
Tokina 11-16 DX @14mm
1/500
f/7.1
ISO 200
neutral grad filter

Arthur Morris
10-19-2010, 09:08 PM
EXP looks fine and the scene is loverly even at midday. For me it needed to be a bit wider all around with the main foreground rock and the big cloud cut by the frame edges...

Don Hamilton Jr.
10-20-2010, 05:51 AM
Rene, man, this is another place to add to the must see list. Exp, and colors look good. Suggestion, i think you could get closer to the your forefront anchor subject( bigger rock), and really highlight it; perhaps a bit more angle up towards the cloud. It would really bump up your image, and for the record, when i first tried the 10-22mm canon, my image looked like yours,try highlighting your forefront stronger positional -wise. Finally, if you want to blurr the water and create some silk look, the vari-polarizer circular filter from singh ray is allows you to stop down a few stops even in bright light...
TFS
Don

A_Maddah
10-20-2010, 06:49 AM
Hi Rene
beautiful image.Colors and comp are lovely.that give me sufferance and serenity.I agree with Arthur about wider anf Fg.TFS

Asad

Dave Mills
10-20-2010, 10:16 AM
Hi Rene, pleasing scene with the brighter light handled well. Agree with Art regarding opening up the comp and giving more room on the bottom and top for reasons stated above. I might take out the very small rock on the bottom edge.

Robert Amoruso
10-21-2010, 06:37 AM
Rene,

I agree that a wider view was needed here. The rock in the FG that is clipped. I feel I would have placed that in the center of the lower FG and perhaps rotated camera left to create a nice triangle shape from the FG rocks. It looks like it might work but hard to tell for sure. A agree that clipping the FG rocks and the large cloud up top are non-no's. I have been right there and know how beautiful it is.

Roman Kurywczak
10-21-2010, 08:52 AM
Hey Rene,
Light covered as was the wider view and I agree with both suggestions. I do think when you get another oppportunity you should try to get more seperation between the rocks and even a bit more isolation. that way the focus will still be the wonderful water.....but the added FG interest will take it up a notch compositionally. Don gave you a VG idea with the lens so try exploring that next time out.

Rene Quenneville
10-22-2010, 02:33 PM
Thank you all for your kind remarks. Visualizing a picture with such a wide lens is a piece of work.
Here is a version (PS modified) with more space around. I got your point: foreward elements should not touch the frame!

Bill Randall
10-22-2010, 09:19 PM
Rene,
Much better without the tangents (just touching) of the rock and the cloud with the image edges. Good beachy feel, water, sand and wavelets are well done. A calm summer day.

Arthur Morris
10-23-2010, 06:58 AM
Much, much better. We are glad that you got the point. And the same goes for the upper edge. Cutting off the cloud when you had it was just a big a sin :)

Dave Mills
10-26-2010, 09:08 AM
Good repost Rene! Well done