PDA

View Full Version : Autumnal Black-bellied Plover.

Daniel Cadieux
10-19-2010, 08:00 PM
It's just awesome when you get a cooperative individual of a normally skittish species!! At least in our parts, the BBP often flees from within 50 yards (juvies included). This one, on the other hand, was content to pose and strut for us as it foraged on the beach, and then on the grass. As it was working its way mostly left to right, I located a beautiful patch of distant trees half a mile away across the river that I was hoping it would pose in front of. I placed myself in alignment to those and well...it did:cool:

Canon 40D + 100-400L @400mm, manual exposure, evaluative metering (metered off grass and histogram checked), 1/1250s., f/7.1, ISO 400, natural light, handheld, just about FF (very slight crop below and left).

Arthur Morris
10-19-2010, 08:13 PM
Nice choice of perspective to come up with the fall color BKGR. Sharp with a good EXP as expected. It looks--based both on the bottom of the line of trees and the line of the oof grasses as if it needs a bit of CW rotation.

Jim Crosswell
10-19-2010, 08:48 PM
I like the autumn BG you achieved Daniel. Sharp detailed image with great DOF. Well done as usual!

Daniel Cadieux
10-19-2010, 09:50 PM
It looks--based both on the bottom of the line of trees and the line of the oof grasses as if it needs a bit of CW rotation.

Thanks Artie! That was my initial instinct too...and I should have stuck with it. Thankfully an easy tweak:).

Mark Young
10-19-2010, 09:53 PM
Congrats on the wonderful image. If only all shorebirds we as accommodating as this particular one.

What is the advantage of metering off the ground compared with the bird? I'm still not that familiar with what metering to use and when.

Daniel Cadieux
10-19-2010, 10:02 PM
Congrats on the wonderful image. If only all shorebirds we as accommodating as this particular one.

What is the advantage of metering off the ground compared with the bird? I'm still not that familiar with what metering to use and when.

Thanks a ton Mark:)

I often meter off the ground or sky when I am still pretty far away from my subjects as I didn't know if they will stick around and do not want to fool around with settings with spooked birds. As it turns out this guy was way too accomodating and I could have metered off of it once close. Still, the exposure was good on the "neutral" grass and the light constant...and with the varying BG manual was the way to go. This way I did not have to worry about that any longer...just focus, compose, and fire away.

Dumay de Boulle
10-20-2010, 03:48 AM
Great detail and really like the colors in the BG, makes the bird pop out. Awesome low angle...Nice one Daniel

Arthur Morris
10-20-2010, 06:58 AM
Congrats on the wonderful image. If only all shorebirds we as accommodating as this particular one. What is the advantage of metering off the ground compared with the bird? I'm still not that familiar with what metering to use and when.

Hey Mark, There is tons of confusion out there on metering.... I have written tons on it over the years. The short story for digital is covered in ABP II (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=19)(916 pages on CD only) in the section entitled "Exposure Simplified." The longer story including exposure theory is covered in detail in the original ABP (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=16). You can save $10 on the two of them here (https://store.birdsasart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=84).

Lastly, thank you for inspiring me to post the following thread in Educational Resources: Stuff You Might Not Want to Hear About Exposure (and More) (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?73724-STUFF-YOU-MIGHT-NOT-WANT-TO-HEAR-ABOUT-EXPOSURE(-amp-MORE)&p=582325#post582325).

Stu Bowie
10-20-2010, 09:55 AM
Hey Dan, good use of DOF, and you low perspective works well. I like the pose and sharp detail on the plover. Good planning on your side, and the BG colours puts this over the top. Well captured.

Bill Dix
10-20-2010, 01:43 PM
Another example of your great patience and planning in setting up a shot. The background really makes the difference here. Well done!

Myer Bornstein
10-20-2010, 02:17 PM
I agree with all the comments. All my BBPs lately have been walkling on the beach against the ocean without any nice colored BG present

Kaustubh Deshpande
10-20-2010, 02:41 PM
Daniel, liked this one a lot. Great details and colors in the BG. Nice head turn and perfect DOF. I think, with CW rotation, the bird might look like it is falling over, will it not?

Aidan Briggs
10-20-2010, 05:26 PM
I know what you know about Black-bellied Plovers :D. Great job on this guy. Perfect techs, and the fall foliage in the BG gives it a nice touch.

Well Done Daniel!!

Sidharth Kodikal
10-20-2010, 06:14 PM
Lastly, thank you for inspiring me to post the following thread in Educational Resources: Stuff You Might Not Want to Hear About Exposure (and More) (http://www.birdphotographers.net/forums/showthread.php?73724-STUFF-YOU-MIGHT-NOT-WANT-TO-HEAR-ABOUT-EXPOSURE(-amp-MORE)&p=582325#post582325).

Hey Artie, the link seems broken. Looking forward to reading it.
I need to get the ABP book as well. Thanks for that link too.

Mark Young
10-20-2010, 11:00 PM
Thanks Daniel and Arthur.

Jonathan Michael Ashton
10-23-2010, 11:44 AM
A first class shot, I like the composition and the colours, the detail is excellent one to be very pleased with, your perseverence certainly paid off.