PDA

View Full Version : Song Sparrow

Jim Crosswell
10-19-2010, 02:38 PM
This was taken at Ojibway Nature Area in Windsor. The BG is natural and a few branches on the perch were removed. All C&Cs are welcome and appreciated.

Canon 40D
500L f/4
1.4 Converter
ISO 400
f/5.6
1/800s
Tripod

Stu Bowie
10-19-2010, 02:43 PM
Super pose Jim, and I like the placement of the sparrow in the comp. The little guy is nice and sharp, and against a great BG.

Dumay de Boulle
10-19-2010, 03:07 PM
Awesome sharp detail and BG

Scott Frye
10-19-2010, 04:22 PM
Very nice colors

Arthur Morris
10-19-2010, 07:03 PM
Love the inquisitive pose, the sharpness, the perfect EXP, the sweet BKGR, and the perfect head angle.

Why would I recommend a pretty big crop from the bottom to just above the loose strip of bark that wraps around the perch? (Two reasons.)

Daniel Cadieux
10-19-2010, 09:45 PM
Nice erect posture with the risen crest, and great BG to go with the neat perch. With the bird smallish in the frame and looking towards the right in the vertical comp it would look good closer to either the lower left or upper left corners. Some of the whites could be tamed, and I wish some of the tail was visible. I also see a bit of smudging in the lower part of the frame, perhaps due to your branch removal in PS. Good image overall that could be great with a few more tweaks/finishing touches:cool:.

Kiran Poonacha
10-20-2010, 11:32 AM
great pose and light here...

Geraldo Hofmann
10-20-2010, 01:14 PM
I like the image .. the only thing I miss .. I am with Daniel - the tail .I know it's tricky and sometimes nearly impossible to capture when photographer and bird are at the same level. But usually when they relax they lower the tail and this would improve this picture imho.

Still a very nice capture.

Jim Crosswell
10-20-2010, 02:30 PM
Love the inquisitive pose, the sharpness, the perfect EXP, the sweet BKGR, and the perfect head angle.

Why would I recommend a pretty big crop from the bottom to just above the loose strip of bark that wraps around the perch? (Two reasons.)

One reason that comes to mind is that the sparrow would be less centered. I can't come up with another reason. Sorry for the slow response just finished 16hrs of work in the last 24. Looking forward to hearing from you and thanks to everyone for the comments and suggestions.

Arthur Morris
10-20-2010, 04:21 PM
No sweat Jim. It's good to know that somebody is reading what I wrote :) (My question was meant to be a learning exercise for all.) Yes, cropping from the bottom would put the bird in a vertical rule of thirds position resulting in a stronger COMP. In addition, the lower third of the BKGR is considerably lighter than the upper 2/3rds; our eyes tend to be drawn to the lighter areas of an image. In this case the lighter portion below draws the viewers eye from the subject. (This happens in part because we are used to seeing the light stuff above, that being the sky.)