PDA

View Full Version : Sea Stacks continued

Bill Randall
10-18-2010, 11:34 PM
These formations are a joy to me.

Don Hamilton Jr.
10-19-2010, 05:46 AM
Bill, very interesting, like it. Perhaps a bit tight on the right for me. Would be interesting to see the lower part of the base a bit lighter, however it could just be my monitor here at the office.
TFS
Don

Jeff Dyck
10-19-2010, 06:46 AM
Bill

I am in agreement with Don about the framing and the tightness on the right. I would consider a curves adjustment here and opening up the shadows. There are also some spots from sensor dust that should be cleaned up (notably the one to the right of the stack's apex).

My background is large format photography and this is exactly the kind of subject I would enjoy shooting. My first thought looking at the image (and it's lack of punchy colour and lighting) is that it would be better suited to black & white. Here is a quick & dirty black & white conversion (with some dodging & burning and a brown tone applied)

Regards,
Jeff

Edit: Looking at this again, something else I would add - while the seas stack is an interesting subject, I would like to see it more in context with the surroundings (assuming there is something interesting in the background - looks like some hills on the left anyway). The selection of a shorter focal length (and closer shooting position) might be very interesting (perhaps you could post your exposure data?). In addition to expanding the angle of view and revealing more of the background, the shorter focal length would put you closer to the stack - this would allow you to increase the strength of the interesting swath of water and piece of kelp (?) at the base of the stack as compositional elements.

Bill Randall
10-19-2010, 09:04 AM
The mass you see in the background is the headlands shrouded in fog. I think you will be surprised but I shot this at 35mm, f11 at 1/125. I agree with the tightness on the right. This image is the result of a number of curves adjustments and the light and shadows are as I intended them to be with the small amount of light peaking through the fog and trailing down the right side of the stack. It is the way I saw it in my mind. My goal was to make it more painterly than a record of the stack. I appreciate your comments,and your point of view. Thank you for taking the time to express them. I learn. Subtle color and moody feeling is where I'm coming from. Also over fifty years of painting in watercolor so you can expect that influence to show im my images.

Maureen Allen
10-19-2010, 04:08 PM
I can see why these formations are a joy to you. They're certainly quite beautiful. I agree that a little more room on the right would improve the image. For my own personal taste, I also think I would try to tone down the rather sharp edges of the formation. I very much like Jeff's black and white conversion as well.

Julie Kenward
10-19-2010, 07:23 PM
Bill, I have got to go see these! You are really making me want to go photograph this part of the coast. I also think you missed the boat on the tight right but everything else is beautiful IMO. I also like the b&w repost but the color really gives it a great punch to me. I can see where your painting experience comes into play here. I would also lighten the shadows but only by a slight amount - just to give that beautiful green color a little more definition. Another wonderful image. TFS!

Bill Randall
10-20-2010, 11:01 PM
Julie,
How do like the changes?

Julie Kenward
10-21-2010, 08:06 AM
Fantastic! I didn't even realize how subdued everything was until I saw your repost. Now it retains that ethereal quality but it really pops and holds my interest even more. Well done!