PDA

View Full Version : Wasp

Dave Leroy
10-18-2010, 10:02 PM
This was taken a couple days ago on a cool and windy day with the occasional bit of rain falling.
The wasp was aware of me so I tried staying back and still get the photo. I kept the dof down a bit because of the busy flower. Perhaps too much.

Cropped vertical from a horizontal with more off the right.
50D, 100mm f2.8 macro, 1/125, f/4, Av, EC+1, ISO 400, tripod.

Dave

Roman Kurywczak
10-19-2010, 10:09 AM
Hey Dave,
Very good self assesment IMO......tighten up the comp with a crop off the right (about 1/2 distance between leg) and then proportionally off the top.....and this one goes up a few notches. I would still then debate the cleanup of leaves in the LL......but that alone will help a great deal. Very nice job with the light and sharpness is where it needs it.

Steve Maxson
10-19-2010, 12:41 PM
Hi Dave. I agree with Roman's suggestion about the crop.You have good sharpness where it needs to be sharp. I like the even light, and you did a good job controlling the yellows as they can easily get blown out. The little water droplets on the wasp are a plus. I think the image would be even stronger if you could have gotten more of a side view of the wasp or even if the head was turned more towards us. :)

Ken Childs
10-19-2010, 05:49 PM
Hey Dave, I'm in complete agreement with Steve and Roman on this. Steve's point about a step to the right is a good one. Not only would it be a stronger view of the wasp, but you probably would have had less of the busy flowers to deal with and may have had a cleaner BG.

Dave Leroy
10-19-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks Guys very much for the comments.

I had wondered a bit about that top right corner, and guess I didn't wonder enough.

And I appreciate the advice about trying for better contact and view of the wasp. A good thing to keep in mind for next time.

Dave