PDA

View Full Version : CF card reader advice needed! Please!

Dan Brown
10-18-2010, 08:54 PM
Well, I didn't get much attention with this request in "digital workflow" forum, so I'll try it here! My Delkin ExpressCard 54 reader has failed or my laptop slot is not reading it, either way I need a reader! Any suggestions for a usb or firewire reader for windows vista/xp? I have a usb Ecard reader but ofcourse it's slower than the express 54. Thanks in advance for any help here!

Dan Brown
10-19-2010, 06:58 AM
I have got some good advice from this posted in digital workflow. It looks like usb3 will be out soon and will beat the others. So, I will wait for it! thanks for looking.:D

Cal Walters
10-19-2010, 07:16 PM
Dan, this may not be the issue, but I have had problems in the past when I had to connect certain USB items through a hub or my Mac Monitor. If you did not try a diect connection to the computer and try all the ports you may want to give that a shot. I have ni real reason why it does not work, but my iPhone will only connect direct through the left port only, my USB reader connects direct through right usb port but not another. Go figure! Neither work well through a hub or if I try to connect via my monitor (which I guess is working like a hub).

Dan Brown
10-19-2010, 09:25 PM
Thanks Cal. This Expresscard reader is a pcmcia slot (I think that's what it's called) reader, and I only have one on my laptop.

Charles Glatzer
10-21-2010, 07:52 AM
Many times the USB slot on the monitor does not have sufficient pwr to work with many items.

Chas

Gene C. Callison
10-24-2010, 12:51 PM
I am using a Lexar UDMA SD/CF USB 2 flash card reader with my laptop. I am amazed at the speed of this reader, it's as fast as my former express card reader. Highly recommended providing your pc is up to the task. BTW, I am using it with a 5D2, 1D4 and 7d. I would guess the speed to be about 20MB per sec.

Gene

Dan Brown
10-24-2010, 01:35 PM
Thanks Gene! I will look at this one!

Gene C. Callison
10-24-2010, 02:06 PM
Dan,

It's this one. http://www.adorama.com/ILXCRCFPUD.html

Gene

Dan Brown
10-24-2010, 02:16 PM
Thanks again Gene!

Indranil Sircar
10-24-2010, 02:47 PM
Dan, I have been looking at getting a good reader and finally settled on Kingston USB 2.0 FCR-HS219/1 for its design and performance. I have been using it for reading CF and SD from BB/download-pro and the performance is excellent. I have tested with 133X and 266X cards. The download speed goes to 25MB+ for 266X. Here is a good review on the product http://www.legitreviews.com/article/622/1/ and sells for under $13 on Amazon! Lexar is very good too but can't beat the price.

Dan Brown
10-25-2010, 10:14 AM
Thanks Indranil! I will check this one out. I wonder how long it will be before usb3 comes out? I might wait but then again, these readers aren't very pricey, so I might just pick one up.