PDA

View Full Version : Algonquin's Barron River Canyon

Andrew McLachlan
10-18-2010, 08:01 PM

Here is one from my recent fall trip that was shot from a cliff top high above the Barron River in Ontario's Algonquin Provincial Park. Not sure if this shot is completed yet or not. I should have shot it HDR, but did not. I am wondering if I should blend two images - one for highlights and one for shadows. Or do you think this one works as is?

Nikon D200
80-400 VR lens @ 130mm (effective focal length 195mm)
ISO 100
f11 @ 1/60 sec

Look forward to all comments.

Robert Amoruso
10-19-2010, 06:35 AM
Andrew,

If you want to open up the shadows some try Shadow/Highlights adjustment in PS. I tried it and that worked fine IMO. I would not open up shadows too much as it would look unnatural given the strong directional lighting.

The river creates a strong diagonal in the image the guides the eye. The strong directional light also helps pull the viewer through the image. I like the small brightly backlighted tree on the BG slope. It draws my attention but not so much that it keeps the eye there.

Jeff Dyck
10-19-2010, 08:12 AM
I agree with Robert - I don't think you want to open up the shadows too much in this shot. I would explore going the other direction - take the shadowed areas even darker to highlight that beautiful directional light.

Van Hilliard
10-19-2010, 08:20 AM
I find the lighting to be dramatic as is. I wouldn't change it. Beautiful photograph.

Dave Mills
10-19-2010, 08:36 AM
Hi Andrew, good advice given above. Nicely divided comp with an appealing blast of light coming through the mist.I took this into PS and played with lightening the right corner. I put it into S/H and selected that area. I only brought it up 2-3 pts and felt that was more than sufficient to bring out just a bit more detail without killing the overall. Good play on light and shadow....

Roman Kurywczak
10-19-2010, 08:57 AM
Hey Andrew,
I agree with the suggestions above opening up the shadows just a touch. You did a great job with the mist and fog and the strong light beam is sweet! I do think you can tweak the pines a bit.....to further strengthen the sweet light.....but nicely seen and very well handled overall.

denise ippolito
10-19-2010, 01:13 PM
Andrew, The mist and fog are special. I like the idea of opening up the shadows. I like the framing of the river-nicely seen.

Andrew McLachlan
10-19-2010, 02:48 PM
Thanks to everyone for your comments and kind words. Very much appreciated. I will open the shadows up just a touch. Thanks again.

Nick Palmieri
10-19-2010, 04:49 PM
Very cool lighting on this one. I agree that just a touch of shadow lightening may strengthen this, but very nice image. TFS