PDA

View Full Version : Texas Coast - Where to go?

Steve Wheeler
03-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Hello all....

Was wondering if there was anyone here that has spent time on the Texas coast from roughly Galveston to Port Arthur that might be able to make some recomendations for prime birding spots. I know there are several NWRs in this general area... Haven't been to any of them so I have no idea how "Photographer friendly" they are.

Would be willing to extend that area from say Corpus Christi to Lake Charles, LA if it offered that many more shooting opportunities. Some place that might have some spoon bills would be a big plus for sure:D, but not critical. Thinking about heading that general direction March 20-23.

Your thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

Steve

Chris Ober
03-12-2008, 03:56 PM
Anahuac Wildlife Refuge, Bolivar Penninsula, and High Island can be good but I don't know when the best times would be.

This might help some.
http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/wildlife_trails/coastal/

Steve Wheeler
03-12-2008, 04:23 PM
Thanks Chris... Will look into those.

Steve

Jim Neely
03-12-2008, 08:56 PM
Check out Port Aransas and their Birding Center. It's a Corpus Christi suburb, in essence. North on 361 from Corpus about 15 miles.

jn

ThomasPotts
03-12-2008, 09:16 PM
Steve,

Your in luck- I just got back from that area about 2 weeks ago. I tried to do some web research before and was able to find some stuff-try a search on the Great Texas Coastal Biridng Trail Upper Texas Coast. I had 4 days to really work the area and despite some real odd weather this is what I came up with:

1. Anahuac National Wildlife refuge-A bit of a drive from Galveston but worth it. I could only spend an afternoon here but the wildife was accustomed to autos. Grebes, coots, moorhens, gators, kingfishers, cottonmouths! within 25 feet of the car. Good variety of lighting, only problem around Shovler pond you sit up on a dike. Check for birds of prey coming in.
2. Port Bolivar- Looks like a great area but the weather affected my luck. Definity worth a try. Good opps of meadowlarks and birds of prey. There is a road right before the ferry on the NW side which leads out into the marsh. I had some luck with some spoonbills here.
3. In Galveston, I worked 8 mile road out to the point on Sportsman road and surrounding roads. Sandhill Cranes, Copulating White Kites, Spoonbills, Oystercatchers, Ospreys, ducks, etc. Also along the seawall in this area I was able to work the beach birds.

I think the first part of April is Galveston's FeatherFest- you might be able to find out more on line.

Obviously I can provide more information as I did the whole loop around Galveston Bay but I'm not sure how much I should post. I did not make it to the other Wildlife refuges' in the area.

Let me know if you have specfic questions for species or locations. Good luck,

Tom

Chris Ober
03-12-2008, 09:19 PM
Good info Thomas. Thanks!

Steve Wheeler
03-13-2008, 08:26 AM
Jim... I appreciate your feedback and will look into the Birding Center.

Very good info indeed Thomas! Thank you!

Will look into these after work tonight.

Steve

BillPelzmann
03-18-2008, 05:42 PM
The rookery at High Island has significant of storm damage, but on the positive note, some of the cluttered, brushy background has been eliminated. Lots of Egret nests with eggs now, and more Spoonbills than I remember from last year.