PDA

View Full Version : Finally! Black-bellied Plover

Aidan Briggs
10-18-2010, 05:51 PM
Not exactly a perfect image, but its the first time I've gotten within a hundred feet of a Black-bellied Plover. This juvie was much less skittish than other black-bellied plovers that I've encountered.

I arrived at the coast yesterday morning and was surprised to find several of these guys along the beach. It was very foggy and began raining after only twenty minutes or so, but I managed a portrait before I was forced to leave :)

50D, 100-400 at 400mm
1/250, f/7.1, ISO 320
Fill Flash, handheld

DanWalters
10-18-2010, 06:03 PM
Nice detail and low angle. Also like all the white/grey surrounding the bird.

Alan Murphy
10-18-2010, 06:10 PM
Very nice detail and comp. Good job getting down low.

Randy Stout
10-18-2010, 06:41 PM
Aidan:

Nice display of his working environment. Normally I would prefer not to have the darker wave band in the BG right at head level, but it is so soft here, that it works well, and actually may act as a soft leading line from the sides drawing your attention towards the head.

In a perfect world, I wish the front wave was just a bit lower, but thats a minor point.

Well done.

Randy

Daniel Cadieux
10-18-2010, 06:54 PM
I concur with Randy about the front wave, but all else looks great. I find these guys pretty skittish too, and I too got the privilege of photographing a juvie at close range (point-blank!)...stay tuned...

I like all the neutral tones, and great job with the fill-flash...:cool:

Aidan Briggs
10-18-2010, 07:06 PM
Thanks for the input everyone. I agree on the wave in front, it's bugging me too.

Mark Young
10-18-2010, 07:22 PM
Lovely shorebird image, and a very typical Plover stance!

Arthur Morris
10-18-2010, 07:25 PM
Good luck getting a very nice juvie. Bad luck with the front wave.... Go back and get some more. Sharp with a perfect EXP as expected. The adults are tame in San Diego....

Ákos Lumnitzer
10-19-2010, 07:30 AM
I like it as presented. Nice soft light and typical plover pose. Well done Aidan. :)

Marina Scarr
10-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Glad you were finally able to approach a BBP. They can present a real challenge. Great use of flash and like the monotone look. The front wave doesn't bother me b/c it gives me a sense of motion. However, dark portion at the bottom center draws my attention. I wish you could crop to just above that point, except that may clip his virtual feet. You may try, if you are not opposed, to lighten up that portion a bit.

Aidan Briggs
10-20-2010, 04:32 PM
Thanks Mark, Artie, Akos, and Marina.

Marina: I didn't notice the dark patch until you mentioned it, but I agree that it is a tad distracting

Artie: I would love to go to San Diego with you! I'm not really sure how I would pull it off though :(