PDA

View Full Version : Running Horses

Nancy Bell
10-18-2010, 03:08 PM
I was photographing fall aspens when I heard these horses in the meadow behind me. They came up only for a few minutes. I quickly changed a few settings and took a few photos as they raced off into the trees. A leopard Appaloosa is my very favorite coloring for a horse.

I wasn't sure about the cropping. I do have more of their backs and front legs, as well as space in front. Also, are those small yellow leaves in the upper right a distraction? C & C very welcome.

Canon 7D, Canon 70-200 f2.8 L IS @ 170mm, ISO 400, 1/1000, f9

Hilary Hann
10-18-2010, 09:06 PM
Hi Nancy, well captured. I'm guessing these are wild horses? I wouldn't add legs or backs as unless they encompass the whole horse they can look pretty chopped and make the horses look unbalanced. I like the crop you've used, and in fact you could probably crop up to the top of the leg showing on the chestnut. The yellow flowers don't bother me that much but I'm one who would have no problems removing them.

There isn't a great feeling of them "racing off" but at that ss you've frozen any movement.

I do like the contrast between the leopard and the chestnut, works really well.

Steve Canuel
10-18-2010, 09:41 PM
Nice contrast between the two horses and I like the overlap between the two. I'd like a little more room in front but I'm ok with the crop on the bottom. Also don't find the yellow leaves distracting.

Robert Amoruso
10-19-2010, 06:41 AM
I think your composition works well and would not add to it. You also got a nice juxtiposition of the two horses and good DOF so both are sharp. Only thing I would have preferred here is you vantage point was a bit in front of them so we are watching them coming at you rather then going away.

Steve Kaluski
10-19-2010, 01:29 PM
Hi Nancy, I'm with Hilary on this one, the title is 'Running Horses' yet the image for me does not convey that sadly. Perhaps the process of 'Panning' might have been a better option because it would convey the feeling of movement, but also would add to the overall concept of 'running'. Easier said than done, but if the opportunity arose again, it might be worth pondering, or at least giving it a whirl. :) Saying that, there is some nice detail, with some rich colour.

Sorry don't want to sound rather negative.

TFS
Steve

Rachel Hollander
10-19-2010, 03:54 PM
Nancy - I like the rich color and the detail. I get a slight feeling of movement from the horses' manes but agree it doesn't really convey them running but I would correct that with a title change because I like the image overall. The yellow flowers don't bother me. I would crop a slight amount from the bottom so that it is from the chest up rather than including the small bit of the chestnut's leg.

TFS,
Rachel

Ken Watkins
10-20-2010, 02:23 AM
Nancy,

They do not look like they are standing still to me but then I suppose it is "horses for courses":D

I love the contrast in colours, if you had been slightly in front this may have been even better.

Nancy Bell
10-20-2010, 08:43 AM
Thank you all for your comments and the crop suggestion. I suppose I should have titled it "Running photographer" :)! I was trying to get in front of them but they were much too suspicious of me and turned down into the trees. Essentially they are wild horses as they have miles and miles of range land and the one house on the ranch is not occupied. I do enjoy seeing them when I am hiking in that area.

Steve Kaluski
10-20-2010, 08:53 AM
I suppose I should have titled it "Running photographer" LOL

It must have been a good experience Nancy, one which I am sure you will repeat at some point, look forward to the next in the series of Running Photographer. ;)

Steve

Harshad Barve
10-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Lovely image Nancy , super colors and compo works here
TFS