PDA

View Full Version : Nikkor 28-300mm Redux

Norm Dulak
10-18-2010, 02:55 PM
In a previous thread I considered whether the new Nikkor 28-300mm vrII lens might be an excellent choice of a lens to take on a photographic excursion to Antarctica. The purported quality build, sharpness, dramatic zoom range and reasonable size and weight of the lens all suggested that the lens was a winner for my purposes. And that still may be the case.

So I went ahead and purchased one of the lenses, tested its sharpness in a fairly primitive way, posted my results on another BPN thread, and contemplated acquiring a second 28-300mm lens for my Antarctica trip. But a recent comprehensive review of the lens at http://mansurovs.com/nikon-28-300mm-vr-review#more-12066 suggests that the lens may present difficulties or limitations that I hadn't anticipated. :o

As a consequence, I may reconsider a suggestion that I look at the Nikkor 70-300mm lens, as a second lens for my trip.

Many thanks to all of you who commented and offered your sage advice in my previous threads on this subject. And I can assure you that any further comments you may make will be welcomed!

Norm

Norm Dulak
10-18-2010, 04:54 PM
Hi Norm, that is a impressive review ! From my own observations (having the 28-300mm Canon) I find this lens to be unbeatable for its wide range of options. As with most reviews, this is one, be it a very solid one. I would base a final verdict on your own experience and would certainly test your lens(es) extensively before your 'big trip'.

Thanks Peter. That's good advice that is much appreciated!

Reviews are now pouring into the B & H web site, from individuals who have purchased and used the new Nikkor 28-300mm lens. Even pro photographers seem to be quite pleased with it. Based upon their comments, it seems that there are few difficulties with the lens that cannot be readily corrected in Photoshop.

Norm Dulak
10-22-2010, 11:32 AM
For those of you who are just dying to know what I've finally decided, I offer the attached image.

The image was captured with the Nikkor 28-300mm lens, hand held, when I stepped onto the deck of my Maryland home with the lens attached to my Nikon D300 camera. Only extremely modest modifications were made in Photoshop CS5 to enhance the image. Really nothing significant. No deletion of distracting elements, and total disregard of the crummy sky. The unruly feather on the beak notwithstanding, that American bald eagle telegraphed an unmistakeable message to me.

This is a very good lens, quite worthy of capturing valuable images from my Antarctic trip.

I've ordered a second, Nikkor 28-300mm vr lens, so that Linda and I can both enjoy our excursion to Antarctica, and expect to bring back valuable memories with us. ;)

Norm Dulak