PDA

View Full Version : Water Falls in B&W

Nick Palmieri
10-18-2010, 01:34 PM
This is a 3 image HDR done in Photomatix 4.0. I started with the new B&W pre-set, then made some adjustments, to black and white points and luminosity. I then loaded it into PS and brought out some contrast with LCE. Canon EOS 5D MKII, 24-105mm at 67mm, ISO 100, f/22, SS 5s. (-1, +1). I was trying to get in close for some B&Ws so this is mostly full frame. A pretty simple image but I really like the overall feel to it.

Andrew McLachlan
10-18-2010, 04:25 PM
Hi Nick,

I really like the look of this image and how you framed the flowing water with the surrounding rocks. Looks great as b&w I'd love to see the original color capture someday too.

Dave Mills
10-18-2010, 06:56 PM
Hi Nick, nice composition with the water coming in on the right and leaving on the left. A long average exposure which created the silky look which has some detail and is not blown out. I like the HDR effect but felt it needed a small contrast adj. I selected just the rocks and did a levels adj just to give it a bit more pop. Good eye on this....

denise ippolito
10-18-2010, 07:27 PM
Beautiful flow to this Nick. The B&W looks good. I think Dave's contrast boost looks good. I like the comp. the center has so much interest. Nicely done.

Don Hamilton Jr.
10-18-2010, 07:52 PM
WOW, awesome, really like the repost!!!
Don

Nick Palmieri
10-18-2010, 10:09 PM
Nice re-post Dave, Looks a lot better. I think it lost some contrast on the re-size for BPN. I think the TIFF even has a bit more contrast.

Robert Amoruso
10-19-2010, 06:17 AM
Nick,

First off I think B&W was the perfect choice here - it breaks down the image into its most pleasing elements, the expertly positioned flow of the water and the details in the rock captured due to the HDR. Dave's reposted contrast increase is exactly what I felt needed to be done. Great work.

Roman Kurywczak
10-19-2010, 08:53 AM
Hey Nick,
As mentioned above the B&W was a VG choice and Dave's tweak was the icing on the cake! Very good job composing this. Was this a close up of Adams from Saturday?

Susan Candelario
10-19-2010, 09:53 AM
Hi Nick,
I love how you came in tight in this one & the b/w conversion! Good job pp the HDR as well. The added contrast boost re-post by Dave completed an already wonderful image. ;)
~Susan